CHAPTER XCVIII - The council

Arthur opened his eyes. The soft sunlight was already shining behind the shutters of his room, but it had not woken him up. The knocks on the door had.

He was wrapped up in his feather blanket and had no desire to get up, but as Jorge and Zell were still snoring in their bed, he decided to.

It was a young clerk from the administrative department, whose blond hair was perfectly slicked back under his cap. As soon as he saw Arthur's face, and although the young soldier was still a little drowsy, the clerk straightened and cleared his throat.

- Good morning, Commodore ! Sorry to wake you up, but it's already ten o'clock and vice-admiral Myr has been trying to contact you for a while now.

They had been back for a week from their meeting with Jane, and since then Myr had been very busy. Meetings, reports, interviews... Arthur hadn't found a minute to talk to him again about the training his master had promised him.

- Did he call me ?

- Yes, Commodore, seven times, but you didn't pick up, nor did the Colonel or the Commander who are with you.

Arthur quickly rubbed his eyes.

- What does he have to tell us that is so urgent ?

He doesn't wish to tell you by Den Den Mushi, Commodore. He invites you to join him in his office at eleven for a meeting. Colonel Haru and Commander Asidama are already there, as is the young apprentice.

Arthur sighed loudly, thanked the cleric and intended to wake his two comrades up. The thing Myr wanted to tell them must have been particularly urgent.

...

When the three soldiers entered their mentor's office, he was tapping on his wooden desk impatiently. From his look, Arthur guessed that he was upset, as were their three female comrades whom they had made wait for more than an hour.

- Finally here ! mumbled Myr as they took their seats. If the Marine gives you a personal Den Den Mushi, it's for you to answer your superior's calls. What the hell were you doing ?

- Well... stammered Jorge. We were sleeping, boss.

- Sleeping ? If you want, I can kick you out. That way, you'll have plenty of time to sleep !

Jorge and Zell looked at Arthur, who was sitting upright in his chair.

- Are you alright ? he asked his master softly, almost whispering. You look a little... stressed out.

This curiosity might seem rude, but Arthur knew that Myr would not hold it against him. Obviously, the vice-admiral sensed his student's concern because he closed his eyes and exhaled slowly. Then, tired, he got up from his desk and walked to the window to look out at the bay.

- I wanted you to come to talk about something important. Very important, he insisted.

The six students looked at each other apprehensively. Myr, who was usually so sure of himself, seemed upset for the first time. Lola, sitting next to Arthur, glanced at him with concern.

- I've been working for the Marine for forty years, said the vice-admiral. I've worked my way up the ranks, as you have, through the missions I've been given. I arrested pirates, saved civilians... I did what I thought was right. What was expected of a good soldier.

He took a second to catch his breath and put his hand to his heart. He was obviously tired.

- I knew that some people didn't like me for my outspokenness, for my bad temper and my sometimes disparaging opinions... but to have someone try to assassinate me, that I had never imagine ! Since then, I've been completely paranoid... I've searched my office from top to bottom, checked for hidden microphones and cameras.