CHAPTER XXXVIII - Maelstrom

When he saw the four Marine battleships sailing, Arthur threw himself at Haru's binoculars. He had to be sure of what he thought he had recognized. A small anxious smile appeared on his trembling lips when he had confirmation : among the reinforcements, he had seen vice-admiral Leroy's ship, and on board, Hector's arrogant face.

- Here he is, he muttered, handing the binoculars back to Haru.

- Do you know Leroy ? Myr asked, surprised.

- No. But Hector, his first mate, is on board. We had a... slight disagreement last month.

Myr huffed, scowling.

- I see. You shouldn't let it interfere with our mission, so put your feelings aside, right ?

- Yeah, no worries, the student simply replied, swallowing his pride.

Peck had ducked under his master's jacket when he spotted the young soldier, who had kidnapped him a few weeks earlier in order to lure Arthur into a trap. A fight had broken out between them, just behind the G2 base, but neither of the two belligerents had emerged victorious from the confrontation. BBK, Hector's friend and accomplice, was also present on vice-admiral Leroy's ship, the Squall. Besides, the whole C team was probably there, and Arthur had to admit that he had no desire to meet them.

Suddenly, the central den-den mushi rang in Myr's room, and he immediately ran to pick it up. Outside, the storm was so violent, the wind so strong that he had to shout into the combiner to be heard.

- Hello ? Hello ?! Leroy, is that you ? Ah ! How are you, old fart ? Yes. Hm. Very well, I see.

After this brief conversation, he hung up and turned to his apprentices to tell them about the plan :

- Well... Since we don't know where those damn pirates are heading, we have no choice but to follow them. Leroy and his team will support us, while the other three ships will set up a siege around Storm Heart. Most of the remaining pirates are probably still knocked out from the beating we gave them, so it shouldn't take too long.

- Excuse me, vice-admiral, Haru politely interrupted, but I think this might be useful to you.

Delicately, she unrolled the large scrolls she had retrieved from Virgo's room, and which she had so far protected from the rain. Some of them were a little damp, the ink faded in places, but the rest were perfectly readable. When he understood that they were nautical maps, Myr threw himself on his apprentice and hugged her so fervently that he almost crushed her ribs :

- Oh, Haru! What would this team do without you ? I'm so proud !

Then, as the four soldiers looked at the maps carefully, they were able to spot common elements in each one : topographical details, similar annotations... All these maps represented the same place, at different scales.

- This is their destination, no doubt about it. Look at this little flower-shaped island, it's on all the maps, Arthur remarked. And four miles to the west, there's this point indicated by a cross, right in the middle of the ocean. That must be their destination.

- But why in the middle of the ocean ? asked Zell. It doesn't make sense. It's the Fountain of Youth these guys are looking for, and it's certainly not floating on the water.

- Zell is right, said Myr. It can't possibly be visible from the sea. We must unfold this mystery...

He then looked up and searched for the Cosmos, which they were gradually approaching.

- This is a solid battleship, but it's quite slow. Ours is faster, and we have a better navigator, he said, tapping his chest with his index finger. Now that we know where they're going, and at our speed, we can try to get ahead of them. Go to your position ! he finally yelled.