I. January, Ch. 5

Shelley's day was planned from beginning to end. She even studied a map of the school and plotted her routes from one class to the other. If she kept her focus on her studies the way she was doing, Principal Marlo would let her graduate early.

     She looked out the car window. Her schoolmates were dressed in their burgundy and white polos, plaid skirts, and khakis. She, too, looked like a private school stereotype.

     Mr. Stone turned the corner to drive into the school parking lot. "You have everything you need?"

     Once he stopped, Shelley held her books with one arm and opened the car door. "Yes, daddy."

     "That's a girl. I'll pick you up at three-thirty."

     "Four-thirty, in front of the library, please."

     "Four-thirty then. Have a great first day, beautiful."

     She giggled. "Daddy, it's just the first day of the semester."

     Mr. Stone looked at her with warm affection."Have a great day nonetheless."

     She leaned across the armrest that divided them to kiss his cheek. "Have fun at work."

     She got out of the car, and stepped into the crowd of students who were killing time playing games and comparing class schedules.

     The hallways were loud with worthless chatter. It was impossible to pick words out of the dozens of conversations happening at once.

     From the crowd, she noticed a hand sticking out like a shark fin in the ocean.

     "Shelley, over here," cried Debbie.

     Shelley squeezed her way between bodies to get to her.

     Debbie, who was Shelley's height, wrapped her arms around her. "You made it."

     "Like I'd miss school. Did you get your schedule?"

     Debbie gave Shelley an apologetic look. "I did, but I lost it. Can you come with me to the office to get another one?"

     Shelley thought for a moment. "Okay, let's make it quick."

     They locked arms and walked down the crowded locker hall, on the lookout for any new faces.

     "Have you thought about my idea for this summer?" asked Debbie.

     "The college visits? I already told my dad."

     "Is he letting you go, or does he still want you at USK?"

     Shelley sighed. "USK."

     Debbie released herself from Shelley's arm. "Your dad's no fun."

     "It's how I keep my scholarship."

     They got to the main office, where the Monday-hating staff was serving a long line of students who were all in Debbie's situation.

     "Are you taking Miss Millen's English class this semester?" said Debbie.

     "Miss Millen?" said Shelley. "Oh, no. That woman scares me. I've got Hughes."

     She checked her watch.

     "Running late?"

     "A little."

     "Go ahead, I'll catch up. If we don't have a class together, I'll see you at lunch."