III. March, Ch. 29

"What'd you think of the callbacks?" said Roger.

     Calvin walked alongside him to the parking lot. "I think the choice is obvious, don't you?"

     Roger took the car keys out of his pocket. "I had my doubts, but you were right. Just remember, we need to reserve a role for you-know-who."

     Calvin rolled his eyes. "Got it. We won't disappoint our precious benefactor."

     He was doing a perfect job avoiding Genevieve all week. As much as he missed her company, she wasn't family. Marlo would be proud.

     He was setting his first foot in the car when he heard the voice he'd been dreading for days.

     "Hold on, boys," said Genevieve.

     Roger's face turned hard.

     Calvin noticed that Roger looked at Genevieve with less respect each time. He wasn't the least bit tempted to inquire.

     "I haven't seen you around, Tang. You've got a question to answer."

     He couldn't ignore her now, especially when her hair fell on her face and she tossed it aside in the way that terrorized his daydreams. "I've been busy with the play."

     Genevieve said nothing. She wasn't angry or serious, just quiet.

     Her eyes were burning a hole through Calvin's skull. "Give us a minute," he told Roger.

     Roger shook his head and got in the car, slamming his driver's side door shut.

     Calvin ignored Roger's reaction and pulled Genevieve aside. He snuck a peak at Marlo's empty parking spot. It was safe to chat.

     She flashed a flirty grin. "So, what's it going to be, stud?"

     His body pulsed with attraction. The thought of rejecting her hurt him.

     Her eyes softened. "What's wrong?"

     Calvin rubbed his forehead. "I don't know how to say this."

     "Just say it."

     Calvin placed his hands on his hips and turned away.

     Genevieve took his face in her hands. Her voice was a late-night glass of warm milk. "Calvin, you can tell me anything."

     The heat of her fingers burned his cheeks. Be a man and tell her. Think of Marlo. "I can't do it."

     She listened with her entire face, unfazed.

     "I have other obligations to keep."

     Calvin rubbed his hands together. "I know this will probably dampen our friendship."

     She dropped her hands. Her lips parted in shock. "What do you mean? Of course not."

     His skin missed her touch the moment her hands left. "I let you down. I'm sorry."

     "No, no. I shouldn't have dropped such a heavy decision on your lap. I mean, we barely know each other."

     Calvin was ready to interrupt.

     Genevieve put her hand up to stop him. "Let me finish. I got too excited and I forgot that there were two of us here. I haven't even asked you what your goals and ambitions are. I'm sorry."

     Calvin felt bad hearing her apologize, even if she was making valid points. "Are we still friends?"

     She placed a hand on his shoulder. "Absolutely. Nothing changes between us."