V. May, Ch. 55

Calvin cracked his knuckles in the wings.

     "Cal, relax. You're going to make the kids nervous," said Roger.

     He took a deep breath and blew it out. "I know. I'm sorry. I'll stop."

     Cookie walked up to the men.

     All three adults were in their Sunday's best. Faces and legs were shaved. Teeth were flossed. Hair had product.

     "Gentlemen, we have VIPs backstage," said Cookie.

     Calvin and Roger followed her.

     George was standing by the door, carrying a large arrangement of flowers.

     Calvin wasn't expecting to feel nervous at the sight of his new boss. "George? What are you doing here?"

     He placed the flowers down on a vacant table. "Just wanted to drop off a little gift from me to the cast."

     "They're beautiful. Thank you," said Cookie.

     "No, thank you three for putting this together. I'd invite you all for drinks at my house after the show, but junior and I have a morning flight to catch."

     "But we'll celebrate during summer vacation," Calvin interrupted "when you guys are able to come to Los Angeles to visit."

     Roger put an arm around Cookie. "Sounds good to us."

     "Splendid. Break a leg, kids."

     As George made his way out the door, Marlo stepped inside. He too was dressed, shaved, and dapper.

     If George's presence made Calvin nervous, Marlo's invigorated him with energy. "Marlo, you made it."

     He made a sour face. "I couldn't miss this."

     "How's the house looking?" Roger asked him.

     "Surprisingly full."

     Calvin's stomach cramped. "Oh, no."

     Roger put a hand on his shoulder. "Easy, Cal. Don't be puking all over these expensive costumes."

     "Well, we're just about ready to start," said Marlo. "I'll introduce the two of you, bring you out, and then you can say a few words before we raise the curtain."

     "Okay. We'll be ready," said Roger.

     Marlo walked ahead a few paces, then turned around as if he forgot something. His attention was on Calvin. "Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I saw your friend Violet in the audience on my way here."

     Calvin's eyes got big. "Really? I didn't think she'd show."

     "Yes. She was looking too radiant to be attending a high school play."

     He smiled. As was common, an uninvited guest entered his thoughts when he was most happy. "By any chance, did you see... anyone else in the audience?"

     Marlo sighed. "I invited her, Calvin. She told me she had plans."

     "Oh. I see."

     "But hey, don't dwell on that now. It's showtime."

     One of the theater techs gave Marlo a microphone. "We're ready to start, Mr. Cabrera."

     "Okay, here we go."

     Marlo walked to the center of the stage. He was coated from head to toe in the brightness of a spotlight.

     As audience members noticed his presence, they stopped what they were doing to applaud.