Discussion Points & Final Thoughts

"What year is it?"

     I made no explicit references to the exact year Julian takes place, reason being I was afraid readers would be picky about things I got wrong.

     Not anymore.

     It's 1969.

Hard and Soft Drinks

     In early drafts, Calvin's nickname was "Ovaltine", a chocolate malt beverage (similar to Nesquik) popular in the 1950's and 60's in the United States. Upon rewrite, the name didn't strike me as affectionate.

     I was unaware of the adult implications behind the word "Tang" until after I published the first few chapters, but needless to say I was using it in the powdered-beverage context.

     The nickname serves as a reminder that, despite his conservative thoughts and behaviors, Calvin is still, in many ways, just a child.

     Genevieve's fascination with wine is a reference to her maturity ("age like fine wine"), and her desire for extravagance.

     However, all references to wine are those to white wines. This is not only a reference to "Leblanc", but it's important to note that unlike red wines, most white wines do not benefit from long-term aging, and the phrase "age like fine wine" no longer applies.

     While some readers might take that to mean that Genevieve is "rotten", I invite readers to consider the following:

     Sauvignon Blanc, referenced in I. January and II. February, is said to have poor aging potential due to its high acidity.

     Early in III. March, Genevieve switches to Chardonnay, a white wine that ages better than Sauvignon Blanc, but not for very long.

     Finally, by the last chapter in III. March, Genevieve is drinking Riesling, arguably the best white wine to age.

     This progression marks Genevieve's transition to be more in touch with her maturity, just as Calvin reconnects with his youth.

     Most importantly, this symbolizes that like white wine, Genevieve refuses to "age in a dark cellar."

Months as Stages

     Julian is broken down into five sections, each one named after the months of the year in a typical high school spring semester (in the United States).

     This can be interpreted two ways. The first is into stages in Calvin's feelings for Genevieve, beginning with I. January(Like), followed by II. February(Lust), III. March(Love), IV. April(Heartbreak), and V. May(Renewal).

     The second is in Calvin's personal growth. He starts off "cold like winter" (January-February), but slowly transitions to spring(beginning in March, in the Northern Hemisphere) as he falls in love. By the time May rolls around, he has embraced his youth and truly become the "May" in a "May-December" romance.

III. March, Ch. 29 - "The Blindfolded Jazz"

     The song used for "The Blindfolded Jazz" is a real song (my favorite jazz piece of all time): Take Five by The Dave Brubeck Quartet.

     Composed in 1959, Take Five is considered a one-hit wonder, and arguably the most popular song by the quartet. It was also the opening theme to NBC's Today in the 1960's, as Calvin vaguely referenced.

     Dave Brubeck and Take Five composer Paul Desmond shared a similar friendship to that of Calvin and Genevieve. While Brubeck was a family man known for his reserved nature, Desmond was remembered as witty, commitment-phobic, and fond of drinking.