V. May, Ch. 53

Stop thinking about it. You're just friends.

     Since the day she and Bruce pulled off their story inside Marlo's office, Shelley couldn't stop thinking about Bruce.

     The feeling of the callouses in his palms pressing against the soft skin on the inside of her hand was difficult to shake off.

     His captive scent lingered on the blouse she wore that day, and she couldn't bring herself to wash it like she did the rest of her clothes.

     She was seeing a little less of him since the set was fully constructed. With the fulfillment of graduation requirements taking up most of his time, Bruce wasn't present at the last two rehearsals.

     "Alright, everyone. Listen up," said Roger.

     Shelley awoke from her daydreams. She joined the rest of the cast as they circled around the directors.

     "Opening night is in five days, so let's treat this dress rehearsal like it's the real thing, okay?"

     Shelley wasn't ready to deal with Douglas again, who wasn't so much as slapped on the wrist for his actions.

     The only thing that brought Shelley any kind of comfort was that Douglas was far more quiet in rehearsals. Like Bruce, he too had been absent. This was his first day back.

     "Okay, places, everyone," said Cookie. "Let's take it from Don Pedro's line right after Beatrice exits."

     Shelley walked backstage and waited in the wings. Her cue was a good twenty minutes away.

     "Psst, Shelley?"

     She turned.

     Douglas stood with his script in his hand. "Hi."

     She rolled her eyes and looked away.

     "I know you're mad, but we have to work together."

     How dare you talk to me about civility? Shelley didn't want revenge anymore. All she wanted was for the play to be over. "What do you want, Douglas? Are you not done ruining my life?"

     He moved in with his arms crossed."I just wanted to say I'm sorry."

     Shelley didn't take more than a second to consider his words. "Apology not accepted."

     Douglas spoke a little faster, like he was running out of time. "I didn't know you and Bruce were a couple. Honest."

     We're not. The truth made her sad. "You almost got Mr. Leblanc fired."

     "I know. And I apologize to him, too."

     This was news to her. "You did?"

     "Go ask him. I owned up to my mistake and apologized."

     "Did you apologize to Bruce, too?"

     Douglas made a face. "Why would I do that?"

     She narrowed her eyes. "You know why."

     He brought his arms closer to his body. His eyes told her 'that's none of your business'. "That's different. It's a family thing."

     Shelley sighed. Vengeance no longer pleased her. It never did. But all it took was a second to remember that he did to his cousin for her blood to boil. "I'll tell you what. If Bruce forgives you, I will, too."

     Douglas groaned. "Don't twist things around like that. You're making things too difficult."

     Shelley raised her voice. "Oh, I'm making things too difficult?"

     "Quiet backstage, please," called out Roger.

     She lost all bravery. "Sorry, Mr. Stuart."

     Douglas placed his hands on her arms. "After the play ends, we'll still be in each other's lives for another two years."

     Shelley hated that reality. She wiggled out of his hands. "Okay, fine. I just don't want to think about this anymore."

     Douglas smiled. "Good. Because I have something to ask you."

     "I'm not answering any questions about Bruce," she snapped.

     "It's not about Bruce."

     "Fine. What is it?"

     He switched back to the charming persona Shelley knew when she first met him. "Did you know that the San Kolbe County Fair's going to be in town?"

     She heard about it, but never thought about asking her dad to take her. "What about it?"

     "Some of the guys and I are going."

     "Good for you."

     Douglas looked at his shoes. "Yeah. They'll be bringing their girlfriends."

     Was he trying to rub it in her face? "So bring yours."

     His hand grabbed hers. "I would if I had one."

     Oh, no. Don't ask.

     "I figured since we both have leading roles in the play, everyone's going to have their eyes on us anyway. So it makes sense if we go together."

     Shelley's disgust was back. "I'm with Bruce."

     "Bruce is going off to UCLA as soon as he graduates."

     She looked down. She didn't want to think about that.

     "So, I'll pick you up at seven?"

     "I didn't accept."

     Douglas grinned. "You will."

     For a split second, Shelley was transported back to January, a time when she would have given up her straight A's to have something like this happen.

     Douglas appeared genuinely remorseful, but none of that mattered.

     She wanted Bruce.

     Even if he liked boys. Even if he was leaving for college in two weeks. Even if he was an adult and she was still a child in the eyes of the law.

     None of that changed how she looked at him, with all the reverence of a superhero, because in a way, he saved her.