II. February, Ch. 22

Calvin stared off into the distance. Who was that girl? Why did she run off so fast with tears running down her face?

     He was tempted to run to her, to take a knee besides her on the grass and offer his help.

     He took a small step forward when his eyes were covered by a gentle hand. His vision faded to black.

     A breeze blew in his direction, sending that familiar cherry-pie-and-lemon-curd scent to his nose.

     "Where's my valentine?" said Genevieve.

     Calvin wasn't sure if she was asking for a gift or using a term of endearment.

     He tried to put a little distance between them all week, making an effort to get back to Marlo's promise.

     She dropped her hand and laughed. "I'm just putting you on, but I've been meaning to ask you something."

     Whatever was happening to the girl in the yard or whatever promise he made to his brother was forgotten. "What is it?"

     She opened her mouth when Roger arrived and stood besides them. "Hey, you two."

     Calvin stood up straighter.

     He knew Roger was still upset that he chose to have his first drinks with Genevieve instead of him. The guilt consumed Calvin since.

     "Let's go," said Roger "I've got to get ready."

     "Big plans tonight?" said Genevieve.

     Roger nodded as they walked to the parking lot. "I made dinner reservations for Cookie and me at this Italian place downtown."

     Calvin's heartbeat sped up to accommodate his Marlo-sensitive nerves. He looked around for him, as if he'd jump out of the bushes at any time.

     "And what are you doing tonight?" she asked Calvin.

     "I'm staying in," he said, a little too quickly. "Staying out of trouble. Keeping a low profile."

     Genevieve looked confused, as did Roger.

     He was trying to send Roger a message. I know I was a hypocrite. I'm trying to make up for that. I'm getting back on track.

     Genevieve kept her eyes on Calvin, waiting for him to continue.

     Calvin knew she wanted him to ask her about her Valentine's plans, but not only did he want to cut the conversation short, he wasn't sure how he'd handle Genevieve telling him she had plans with someone else. "We better get going," he told Roger "Wouldn't want to make you late for your date."

     He practically pushed Roger towards the car. "Have a good weekend, Genevieve."

     "I'll be home. Call me if you get bored. I really did have something to ask you."

     Calvin was relieved, but confused. Why did her confirming that she didn't have plans make him feel good?

     The trio split in two different directions. Roger and Calvin to the Mustang. Genevieve to her Mercury Cougar.

     The men walked to the car in an uncomfortable silence. Roger looked conflicted.

     "I'll drive," said Calvin.

     Anything to get on your good side again.

     Roger opened the passenger side door, but stood outside. He made a noise between a sigh and a groan. "Go ahead, Cal."