IV. April, Ch. 41

It only occurred to Shelley during the picnic with the girls that she would have to kiss Douglas for the climactic final scene.

     She could handle working with him, tolerating his self-centered behavior and pretending to find his jokes funny. What she didn't want was having her first kiss on that stage, with Douglas.

     Over the last few days, she couldn't stop thinking about Calvin. She wouldn't mind one bit if her first kiss was with him instead.

     But first, she had to make sure she and the girls weren't hallucinating, and the circumstances couldn't have been more perfect to have her find out.

     Early morning rehearsals meant her father could drop her off. There was no need to bring Bruce into the picture.

     Shelley brushed and flossed, wore a shirt she hadn't worn in a while, and spritzed some of Mrs. Atwood's perfume on her wrists.

     Her father made no inquiries about the new smell on their way there, nor did he ask why he was dropping her off an hour early.

     It's a sign that this is meant to be.

     Once she arrived, she checked her reflection on one of the windows outside the theater. Everything was fine.

     Just as she expected, Calvin was sitting in the front row of the empty theater. Bruce was two-thirds of the way done with the set and all he asked was that the actors give the structures plenty of room so the paint could dry.

     There was something to be said about Calvin's serious, quiet demeanor and his mature outlook on just about everything. He wasn't like the boys Shelley was so used to. He was different, and she loved that about him.

     Calvin looked up from his script and saw her. "Good morning, Shelley. Are you always here this early?"

     Are you positively surprised? The thought that he could be made her blush. "Not really. Are you?"

     He looked down at his script again. "I am today."

     Shelley took a seat next to him. Golly, he smells good. "So, um, did you do anything new and exciting over spring break?"

     Calvin smiled at his papers. He made a few marks on the top page with a red pen. "I went to the beach. What about you?"

     "Oh, you know. Same ol', same ol'."

     Calvin looked up at her, suspicious, but he carried on as if nothing odd was afoot.

     Shelley kept her eyes on him. Up close, he really was something to write home about. He was young and tall and had lips like Mick Jagger, who was better than Jim Morrison, anyway.

     He looked up at her. "Is everything okay?"

     "I just had a question," said Shelley "and I wasn't sure who else to turn to."

     Calvin set the script and pen down on the chair next to him. "What is it?"

     Shelley rested her back on the chair. "Mr. Leblanc, do you think two people can love one another no matter what?"

     He appeared confused at the question. At the same time, there was a spark of hope in his eyes. "How do you mean?"

     "I mean, if two people love each other and their love isn't hurting anyone and they're happy together, should they let anything stand in their way?"

     "Like what?"

     "I don't know. Like, say, an age difference."

     Calvin paused for a moment, then smiled. "It's funny you say that. If you would have asked me that question weeks ago, I would have said yes."

     Weeks ago? "And now?"

     Calvin lit up like he was talking about his favorite subject. "Now? I suppose exceptions can be made."

     Shelley was ready to burst into flames with excitement. "And what made you change your mind?"

     Calvin stood up and slid his hands in his pockets, like the subject of age differences excited him. "I've gone through a few changes."

     Shelley looked up at him in admiration. "Did you meet someone who changed your mind?"

     He blinked like a deer in the headlights, then looked down sheepishly. "Is it that obvious?"

     "Mr. Leblanc, I don't judge you. And I haven't told anyone. Some of the girls from the cast and I were just talking and—"

     His voice sounded slightly panicked. "Wait, wait. Others are picking up on it, too?"

     Shelley was losing control of the conversation. "It's okay. I won't say anything. I promise."

     Calvin took a seat and leaned down with his elbows on his knees. He covered his face with his fingers and spoke into his palms. He would have looked miserable were it not for the chuckle he released. "Oh, boy. I'm an accident waiting to happen."

     Shelley kneeled in front of him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Your feelings are beautiful, Mr. Leblanc. I think the same way you do. Believe me."

     Calvin looked up from his hands.

     Shelley was only inches from his face. She looked down at his lips, and before she could stop herself, she moved in and pressed her puckered lips to his slightly open mouth.

     She barely understood the mechanics of kissing, but she didn't expect her eyes to close on their own. The sensation of moist, soft skin and beard prickles on her lips was so new, but so invigorating at the same time.

     She didn't think, however, that one of the common practices of kissing involved grabbing someone by the shoulders and pushing them away with a horrified look on their face, which is precisely what Calvin did.

     The sight before her told her everything. It's not you. It was never you.

     Calvin got out of his chair and stepped back. He put his hands out in front of him and kept his voice low. "Wooah, Shelley."

     She remained on her knees, humiliation filling every inch of the theater. She brought her fingertips to her lips. "I'm sorry. I thought you meant me."

     Calvin was almost frantic. "No, don't apologize. I, um, gave you that impression. I'm so sorry. I-I got carried away."

     It was the most embarrassing moment of her life. At least when she caught Douglas with Michelle she was unseen and unheard. This time she was front and center with the much older man she just kissed. Her teacher, no less.

     The magnitude of her error came crashing down on her. This wasn't like chewing gum in class. This was serious.

     She didn't say anything. She didn't grab her things. She just flew from the front row seats to the Francesca lobby.

     Calvin called out to her. He even took a few paces to physically stop her, but he didn't want to touch her after what just happened.

     Shelley ran out of her shoes. You're in so much trouble.