II. February, Ch. 17

The Julian main office was filled with the smell of cheap coffee and fresh-off-the-copy-machine paper.

     Calvin waited outside of Marlo's office with his suitcase and his restless left leg.

     He was convinced that Marlo knew about his friendship with Genevieve, about not sticking to his word that he'd keep to himself. Despite having rehearsed different excuses, none of them were convincing.

     Part of him was glad to talk to Marlo. His ego was still on ice and he needed reassurance that he was doing the right thing by writing his own play.

     Calvin was looking at his watch for the twelfth time when he heard several "Good morning, Principal Cabrera"'s in the distance.

     Marlo walked to his office door with coffee in one hand and a fistful of phone messages in the other. He seemed confused at Calvin's presence. "Good morning, Mr. Leblanc."

     Calvin stood up. "Good morning, Ma—, Principal Cabrera."

     "Did we have an appointment?"

     Calvin held back from saying it was fifteen minutes ago. "Yes, we did."

     Marlo looked up, trying to remember. He groaned once he did.

     "It's okay," said Calvin "Don't worry about it."

     "I apologize. I've had so much going on."

     Marlo unlocked his office and the men stepped inside.

     Calvin had never seen a space so minimalistic in his life.

     There wasn't so much as a picture of Lisa on his desk. The smell of fresh paint lingered on the walls. Other than Marlo's Stanford degree, nothing else hung on them.

     "Did you just move in?" said Calvin.

     Marlo put his things down and read through the messages. "No. Have a seat."

     He frowned at Marlo's coldness.

     "How's the play coming along?"

     "It's going well."

     Marlo occupied his large, intimidating chair. "I just want to remind you that you and Roger are still to put teaching above this side project. I don't want to see any slippage in your teaching responsibilities. Am I understood?"

     "One-hundred percent."

     "Good. I need you to sign this."

     Marlo turned around in his chair and produced a folder from one of the file cabinets. He laid the folder open on top of the desk. Inside was an addendum to the contract Calvin and Roger signed when they agreed to be the sole members of the Julian Drama department. Next to it was a single-spaced list split into two stapled sheets of paper.

     "It's a censorship list," said Marlo "Since you'll be doing all the writing, I only need a signature from you. So long as you and Roger stick to these guidelines, there shouldn't be a problem."

     Calvin examined the list. Included were obvious things such as drug use and foul language. Excessive slapstick humor, however, caught him off guard.

     Marlo took out a pen from the inside of his coat. "I know you're used to writing more adult material. I want to make sure we don't get parents barking at us."

     There was no way Calvin could work around these parameters and still make Humor Me any good. "I don't mean any disrespect, but would it be possible to make a few exceptions? The play can't function if we don't have some of these things in place."

     "Such as?"

     Calvin brought the list close to his face. "Such as kissing exceeding three seconds."

     "The guidelines only apply to original productions. The Governing Board wants to ensure that no one uses the stage as a personal soapbox."

     Calvin looked up from the list. Marlo couldn't have made his message any clearer. "So the list doesn't apply to classical works?"

     "That's correct."

     Shakespeare, one. Leblanc, zero. "Really? I can't have a four-second kiss but Spring Awakening has free range?"

     "I don't make the rules, Mr. Leblanc. If it really is impossible to stick to this list, I'm sure there are other classic works we can put on. All that matters is that parents get their precious temperature check."

     Calvin sighed.

     "Just behave, alright?" said Marlo "Keeping your mind off lewd material while you write this shouldn't be too much to ask."

     Calvin nodded. "Very well. You're the boss."

     "I'm sure you've got some rewriting to do. Take the list home and bring it back signed by Monday. Nothing gets funding until I have it."

     Calvin stood from his chair with the list in hand. He was hoping talking to Marlo would inspire him, that he'd have a vision for the play. Instead, Marlo robbed him of what little inspiration he had.