IV. April, Ch. 49

Shelley fiddled with her thumbs. "Bruce, I don't think I can go through with this."

     He grabbed her hand. "You've been a well behaved student your whole life. Consider this your free pass."

     Good point.

     She and Bruce rehearsed their story until their minds thought it was reality. She gave Bruce credit for coming up with a plan that would kill two birds with one stone.

     Not only would this get her and Calvin off the hook, but it would make Douglas look like a desperate liar.

     Shelley wasn't proud to set a foot on the dark side, but she was tired of being taken advantage of, tired of being stepped on so that others with bad intentions could get ahead.

     Bruce got out of the car and opened her door with his jacket in his hand. "Remember, be calm. It's all white lies, but it's for the greater good."

     Shelley nodded. Of all the performances she'd ever put on, this was by far the most important.

     He handed her the jacket, having made sure it smelled of his best aftershave. "You ready?"

     Shelley nodded. She handed him her books and took the jacket, smelling the air around it. "Is that Hai Karate?"

     He laughed. "Hepburn, I've got class. It's Creed."

     Shelley slipped her arms into it. She loved its musky, leathery scent. "Are you sure they won't call my dad?"

     "You heard them. The last thing they want is a scandal breaking out before they have proof."

     Bruce held his hand out for her. "Are you ready, baby?"

     She giggled and took it.

     The two walked across the parking lot and through the main entrance, making sure to make a show of it so everyone could see.

     From the corner of her eye, Shelley caught students staring at them.

     One of the faces looking their way was one Shelley hadn't seen in weeks. It was a face she missed.

     It was Debbie, with a new group of girls. She stared at Shelley as if she was a new girl at school.

     The sight tore her up inside. She missed Debbie, and it was commitments to the play that held her back from reconnecting with her friend.

     She made a mental note to reach out to her once the dust settled. She wanted to be normal again.

     Bruce brought his lips to her ear. "You're doing great," he whispered.

     Once they got to the office, the real show began.

     Shelley dragged Bruce up to the front desk. "Hi. I'm Shelley Stone. Principal Cabrera wanted to see me."

     The secretary looked up at her and Bruce, partly impressed but mostly confused. "Are both of you meeting him?"

     "No. Just me."

     "Okay. Have a seat. I'll let Principal Cabrera know you're here."

     The two sat down, garnering a few more looks from bystanders.

     Bruce squeezed her hand. "Don't be scared. If everything goes wrong, I'll have Uncle George make some phone calls."

     "Why didn't we just do that in the first place?"