𝟚𝟘 - 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕆𝕟𝕖 𝕨𝕚𝕥𝕙 𝔾𝕠𝕠𝕕𝕓𝕪𝕖

Start from the beginning

The second year was a little better, though, especially after finding my mate, the nightmares soon returned. But after 365 days of nightmare after nightmare, I had grown accustomed to having them. You'd think after all of that, I'd say fuck the universe and do whatever the hell I want. But I was born with a burden that only I could carry and I had to be responsible with what I did with it. I didn't have the luxury of freedom.

I threw myself off of the bed with a loud groan, the way my wolf was snickering in my head only making me sulk even more. I slid on the pair of fluffy socks that I'd gotten from the human store, before stumbling lazily down the hallway and practically throwing myself down the stairs. My body was screaming at me to go back to bed and sleep forever, making me huff in irritation.

I grabbed an apple from the fruit basket I stocked up for myself, taking a bite of it and immediately feeling like spitting it out. I wasn't hungry in the slightest but I knew I needed nutrients to function.

I headed to the dining room, plopping myself in one of the many chairs that occupied the abnormally large table. I took another bite of my apple, leaning back against the chair and peering down at the abundance of empty seats.

The least we can do is bury them properly. My wolf spoke after a few moments of quiet.

I don't think I'm ready for that yet. To see them again.

That's okay too. But when the time comes, we do need to honor them.

I know.

It was a couple more minutes passed of me thinking quietly to myself. I was contemplating sitting on my ass doing nothing all day or trying to figure out what to do about all of the dead bodies behind my old daycare. Sitting down doing nothing sounded better than facing reality, but I knew my family would expect more of me than that. I expected more of me than that.

Another sigh escaped my lips as I got up from the table, tossing the apple core in the garbage. My wolf was right, my family needed a proper burial.

I didn't mean you had to do it so soon. She assured. You can grieve for as long as you need.

It's time we let them rest. Was all I said in reply.

I quickly shoved on some socks and shoes. I decided to leave the CD player behind as I gathered all of the supplies I'd need, which was really just a shovel, a pair of scissors, some food and water I knew I was going to need in a while. Making my way out of the packhouse, I took the familiar route to the daycare, where I knew I'd spend the rest of my day going in and out of.

Standing before the sea of graves, I took in the scene with a heavy heart, though this time I wasn't going to let it weigh me down. My family deserved a proper burial and I'd give them as traditional of a werewolf burial as I could.

I took my time gathering enough flowers and leaves for every grave. In traditional wolf burials, the fallen would usually be lain on a bed of flowers and covered in flower petals and tree leaves, followed by our seed of rebirth. Thankfully, the forest provided me with enough to shower them in leaves and flower petals, but unfortunately, the flower bed would have to be a tradition we compromised with.

"How am I going to do this?" I muttered to myself, thinking carefully about how I was going to go through with this affectively.

One by one? I know it could take days, but they each deserve it.

I nodded to myself, deciding that it'd be too impersonal to just throw a bunch of leaves and flower petals on each grave, cover them in dirt and call it a day. Nobody else was here to remember them or show them proper grievance, it had to be me. Even if it takes days.