He pulled out a sack from under his seat. "I have common clothes that we'll wear when we get there. It'll give us enough cover to poke around without seeming too suspicious. You'll go by Misa when you're out in the streets. There'll be little chance of anyone finding out who you are, especially because you've been cut off from the public for most of your life. My alias will be Ben. We'll act as if we met in Harthem, though we'd have known each other before. Acquaintances meeting for the first time in a while. It'll give us a good enough cover story while we're there."

Misa resisted the urge to sigh. It was the plan that they'd gone over several times before, and their discussion bored her to tears. Thankfully, it ended quickly. Without a map to refer to, there wasn't much else they could plan out any more than they already had.

The awkward silence returned. Misa tried to ignore it, reminding herself constantly that the silence between them had never been awkward before. For once, she wished the captain would berate her like she was a child. At least then, she would have something to occupy her mind.

A pinch in her gut warned her of what was to come. Misa straightened her back. She tried to smother the magic. Breathing in deeply, Misa concentrated on everything but the captain. The gentle rock of the carriage, the cool breeze whipping through the window, the blur of colors passing by.

The sensation disappeared. Misa breathed out a sigh of relief. Her hand itched for a paintbrush. It had been too long since she had painted a picture. She wondered if the captain would give her enough time to paint the mountains.

The sun drew closer to its peak, bringing the heat with it. It shone through the window, and a rectangle of light burned into Misa's lap. Sweat dripped down her temples. The heat was stifling. She pulled at her collar in an attempt to let cool air fan her chest. She was quietly suffocating, turning her face from the bright light, when she glanced at the captain. Their eyes met.

"Why don't you sit in the shade?" He gestured to the spot next to him.

Sweat glued the uniform onto Misa's skin. Her back itched and prickled. The shadowed seat was inviting, but Misa preferred the heat of the sun over the proximity to the captain. For some reason, she felt the latter would scald her more. She shook her head. "I'm fine where I am."

Misa could feel the captain's stare. She tried to ignore it, but the discomfort it brought pushed her to meet his eyes once more. His expression was pensive, lips pursed and brow raised. She found his scrutiny more unbearable than the heat.

Captain Bentham flipped his loose button between the knuckles of his fingers. When it reached his thumb, he flicked it up and caught it in his palm.

"Is there a...reason?" His question was reluctant, almost cautious.

"I don't know what you mean." Misa crossed her arms to prove her nonchalance.

He squeezed the button between his fingers as if trying to mold it into something else. "We've established that nothing is going on between us, but if you still feel uncomfortable—"

"I don't want to sit next to you because I don't like you," Misa snapped. "Perhaps this heat is getting into your head, even though I'm the one directly under it. I wouldn't be inclined to feel anything for you if you were the last man in Plathea."

"Of course." His cool tone returned. His shoulders relaxed as if he was relieved by her answer. "Why don't we occupy ourselves with some training?"

"Training?" Misa scrunched her nose. "I've had enough training from the purgehouse. Can't you let me relax for one day?"

The captain slipped his button into his pocket. "I understand your circumstance, but you are still a cadet of the Urthan Purgehouse."

Misa sighed. She sat back, ignoring the way the uniform moved against her skin. "Fine."