t w e n t y - o n e

(sorry but i must and will never stop reiterating that bang chan is such a perfect human being like what)

chapter twenty-one

"do you think i should get a ferret?" hyunjin asks me, sitting up as he rests his weight on his elbows.

"no, i don't" i pick up a new pencil, filling in hyunjin's eyebrows as the pencil hits the paper.

"why not?" he pouts. "because you don't need one! and poor kkami will feel left out" he tilts his head to the side, thinking about my words.

"quit moving!" i yell.

"oh, sorry. i could name it... um... i'll decide later. but they're cute, don't you think?"

"no, i don't think. you don't need nor have time for a ferret, so shut up and sit still."

"yes ma'am" his lips curve up, making my heart tingle. "after all, you're the one who wanted me to paint you" i remind him.

we're currently in our flowerfield, a little tulip resting just beside my hand as i graze the tip of my pencil across the page, letting the drawing of hyunjin come to life.

i still can't seem to get the moment from yesterday out of my head, it's crazy how such a plain gesture of simply sitting with him would get my heart racing and skipping beats, lots of beats.

it's his fault, he's doing this to me.

at school earlier today my teacher asked if i could help kim seungmin out with his schoolwork, just so he can catch up with us and get into the swing of things. i thought it was a little weird, considering the fact that seungmin is rumoured to probably be the smartest kid here, i'm sure he wouldn't need any help, but it is just a rumour.

but i agreed, nonetheless. i'm not sure why she would ask me of all people either, there are plenty of students who are just as capable, and probably even better, but maybe it was just a random pick.

so i have to help him out in approximately 20 minutes, at the library, as we scheduled previously.

after dragging and dabbing and brushing and layering, it's done, finally.

hyunjin's eyes light up, and they peer over the canvas, but i pull it back.

"you can't see just yet!" "why not?" his cheerful expression has vanished. "just because... i have to go." his eyebrows furrow, but i speak before he can. "i'm gonna need you to take this home with you" i cover the painting with a cloth. "don't you dare try peek" i warn him.

"why?"

"because i have to head back to school" he takes the canvas from my hands, as i gather up my equipment.

"to do what?"

"you ask a lot of questions" my eyes flick to his, and he just continues to look at me.

"fine, i have to help seungmin out" now an annoyed expression greets hyunjin's features.

"i'm gonna help him catch up with some stuff, apparently he's struggling a bit and my teacher asked me to" we walk, shoulder to shoulder, and out of the field to the main pathway.

"so now he's stealing my quality time with you? what an asshole" hyunjin mutters and i can't help but laugh.

"he's not an asshole, i know you hate him for absolutely no reason, but i'm doing him a favour, i couldn't deny" i tell him as we reach the bus stop.

"i know, you're just too kind, huh?" his words make my stomach flutter. i pause, and just for a split second the world stops. it's just us and i feel myself gravitating towards him, like something's pulling me in, and i can't stop it, and i'm not sure that i want to either.

but then that spilt second is over, and i'm back in reality.

i hear creaks and wheels bouncing, indicating that the bus is arriving. "don't peek at the painting hyunjin, i mean it. i'll know if you do" i smile playfully. and that teasing smile of his peeks out too. i've fallen in love with that smile. 

"anything for you, y/n. but how exactly would you know?" he says,

"i'm magic" i repeat my words from the party that night. 

"you sure are something magical" he mutters again but low, just high enough for me to hear though. i decide not to say anything, and think about it in the back of my mind when i get the chance to like i usually do.

"see you, handsome hyunjin"

"bye, pretty girl" and with that, the bus doors shut and i'm driven away, our eyes not leaving each other until we're unable to see one another anymore.

we've both just accepted the fact that we're going to be called these names that we hate no matter what, and there's no room for truce or reasoning.

-

"okay, so you have to write it like this, unless it won't make any sense and you'll be confused when doing these types of questions" i glance up, to see him watching me, studying me. what is he doing?

"are you even listening to me?" i ask seungmin, who nods, sitting up. books scatter around us and the library is empty, except just the two of us.

"i'm listening, go on" a playful smile rests upon his lips, almost devilish. what exactly is it that he's trying to achieve here?

"please focus seungmin, unless my being here is point-"

"but it's just too hard to focus when i've got such a pretty sight right in front of me" he says, gazing into my eyes. why does this have to happen to me? does the world hate me or something?

i want to gasp, but words and even sounds can't be let out right now due to the utter shock i'm experiencing. 

unless he wasn't talking about me? maybe he was referring to the snacks, or my pens! my pens sure are pretty...

but that wouldn't disable his ability to focus, unless he has a pen fetish, because then..

i push my questionable thoughts aside and blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.

"try harder, then"

-
a/n!
i wrote this chapter in like 5 mins before i go to bed rn, sorry if it's rushed, but hope you liked!
<3