Chapter 60

"Does every wedding have disasters like this?" he asked. It wasn't like him to get out of work early. It was quite the surprise to his boss too. But Sunshine had called him sounding so upset. That was why he raced over there. Looking at the building, it was completely trashed. There was no way that they could recover in time, not with the rain that never ceased to end. That always postponed construction. It just seemed like the whole wedding was holding on by a single thread. The wind shifting ever so slightly could have it all tumbling down.

And these were supposed to be fun?

"Not entirely," Mir chuckled. "But I had a feeling that something might happen."

They were staying behind to try and figure out the finer details the rest of the day. Sunshine and Nikita had already left to go see about the tarps. They might need more than Sunshine's parents had, but that was okay. Those were easier to come by if you knew the right place. And Valentino delved in this kind of stuff a lot.

"Why?" he asked curiously.

"When things go wrong," he shrugged. "It tends to happen close to the wedding date. That's why I like to come up with a back-up whenever possible."

Well, it wasn't exactly possible to have a back-up venue planned. Those took ages to arrange, and they only had two weeks. Unless they were considering using someone's backyard, that was out of the question. And he knew that Sunshine would hate that. Nikita didn't care how they got married. He just wanted to marry already. It was Sunshine that had dreamt all this up.

And it made this even worse when he looked at the mess that the church had become and the look on her face when she thought that her dream wedding was going to be taken from her. He was glad that Mir could find some solution. This was a long shot, but at least it gave them a fighting chance with this wedding.

Valentino looked up from his work, stopping when he noticed the man staring at the building. The way he looked at it was as if it was brand new, just built and as glorious as ever. That was one thing that Valentino couldn't understand about Mir. He could always see the potential that each building had. He would look at all the ones that they would walk by and smile as Valentino told a story about it. No matter how dingy or beat up it looked, he always looked at it the same way that he was watching this building right now.

He was the only one he had met that thought the same way as him. Valentino loved old buildings, because it didn't look shiny or just built, but it had its own beauty through the time it spent on this planet. And he loved that someone finally saw the same thing he did of this small town.

"Alright," Valentino put his pencil in his pocket and turned the drawing around to show him. "What about this?"

Mir had wanted him to see if he could make a design that was both elegant and practical. The only material they had were the tarps and the flowers that were supposed to be set up. The owner of the facility was willing to help set up the tables and chairs outside. It was the least he could do for not demanding a refund. He had his own expenses to deal with just to fix this ancient church up.

Using tarps wasn't something that he was used to as a material for designing a building, but he wasn't opposed to the challenge. His job always focused on building from the ground up, or rebuilding old historical structures. His boss was obsessed with it. But this made for a great way for his creativity to shine. When he was in college, the professors loved giving their students challenges using different types of materials to see what they could come up with. It actually made collaborating with his peers fun for once.

This was just like those times, only they were being put to the test to solve a real problem.

"If we get a high enough latter to get to the archway on top," he pointed towards his drawing. "We could hook up the tarps on these three points right here, the strongest on the building that's left, and cascade them down in layers and different directions. Hanging them at an angle adds to the elegant design that Sunshine wants. It also gives the material extra room to hang down from the beams that are going to be holding it and protect and flowers or lights that we want to put up."