Chapter 26

"I knew I wasn't going to like this place," Benny whined. They were up to their elbows in files and papers from a bunch of different people. This was the filing department: the famous place that no one wants to go to and there's hardly ever a worker in sight.

"I can't believe you've never been here, Benny," Sarah shook her head. "This is the place that all the files come from."

"Well yeah," he said. "But I don't really have a reason when there's different filing rooms for our department."

The filing department was strange. With all white furniture and decorations, it reminded Benny more of where he thought he was going to wind up after he died when he was still mortal. He hadn't really heard much about this place honestly. Not too many people talked about it.

"The Closed Heart cases are filed solely here," Will said, shuffling through some more papers. "Along with the lost cause cases."

He had worked here before, so, of course, he knew just where everything was. It was why he loved this place so much. Sure, it wasn't as exciting as shooting arrows, but there was a whole other magic to it. He had brought them all there to try and gain some insight on their cases that might help them on this little mission they gave themselves. In his short time of working with paper and folders, he learned quite a lot about this place. It didn't have everything, but it was the closest thing to it.

There was only one thing he couldn't seem to find in that place.

"Oh, Cassandra!" Will gave a sing-songy holler down the white corridors. "Where are you?"

It wasn't really that far from the breakroom they were in before. The filing department was still in the same building, just in the basement. If you went to the lobby area and through a specific door, it would lead to stairs that would bring you all the way down to this bright place.

"Why is it so white?" Benny asked, trying to avoid looking through the papers.

"Because the facts are always clear and truthful," Justin answered. "Even if there's not that much information on that person, their files are always true."

He had been there before for some of his cases. It was annoying trying to find anything in this place without some kind of help. And it was really easy to get lost in all the aisles and filing cabinets. If you walked far enough, you would get to where the books were, where all the rules and regulations were written down for every department in the building. Those books were thick, covering everything you could ever think of.

"I still can't believe that this is where the Closed Heart cases are held," Benny said. "Do they forget that we have our own filing area in the cupid department?"

"Actually," another voice echoed against the walls. "This is where ever file starts before moving to a department."

They looked to see a woman with thick red hair braided all the way to her waist. She wore a white dress that went just below her knees that had a golden scroll right on the front. Her blue eyes looked playfully suspicious of the small crowd that came.

"Cassy!" Will spread his arms to give her a hug. "It's been too long."

"I saw you with your last case, Will," the woman shook her head, accepting the hug. "You four have put yourselves in quite a tough spot."

"What do you mean?" Benny asked. He was always too curious for his own good.

"Don't think that just because this department is in the basement, we don't know what's going on," she said, grabbing the remote out of a desk. She then pointed it to the tv that was mounted on the top corner of the room. As soon as it turned on, the image of Valentino and Casimir enjoying dinner together appeared. "Will always winds up getting in trouble some way."