21)No Mercy

The moment Johnny stopped antagonizing me, I grabbed my phone and dialed Thomas' number. I stared at the screen for a few seconds before quitting and shoving the phone away. I made my way to Quintin's office. I walked around for a while, looking through his stuff. I knew Thomas was my best option, yet it didn't make it any easier. Johnny was right for the most part. I had no reason to believe Thomas wouldn't just tell me to fuck off. He had turned his back on me before. He could do it again. I just wasn't sure I was ready for another disappointment. 

-Heavy is the head that wears the crown...-I heard a voice behind me. As I turned around I realized it was Chris. He gave me a reassuring smile. 

-Nothing like that, brother.-I smiled back. 

-I'm sure you'll do just fine. Whatever's twisting that head of yours, your heart is in the right place. 

-How would you know that?-I joked.-You barely even know me, dude. 

-Touche!-He chuckled.-Anyway. I came to ask you something. -He closed the door and sat in front of Quintin's desk.- You know, the N9ners are a pain in the ass, but they're just bullies, thugs... They're just kids.  They barely agree with each other, let alone qualify as organized crime.  They're a joke! They can shoot a couple rounds, maybe even play tough but they don't have the ability to actually pull this off. Kidnaping Quintin? That's way above their paygrade.-I was growing more and more interested in what Chris was saying. I sat in Quintin's chair.

-So, your point is?

-My point is either they got too ambitious, pulled a stunt above their skill level and if so, even if we do nothing, soon they'll crash and burn on their own and Quintin will walk away free and unharmed. Or... 

-Or?-I lighted up a smoke. Chris wasn't telling me anything new. I had already figured it out and was betting on the latter, yet I pretended I didn't. 

-Or they're just scapegoats. -He looked me in the eyes.-And if so, then Quintin's in real danger. We all are. 

-Who's on your mind? 

-The Inferno's boys...

-Demons?-I laughed, completely unaware. Chris looked at me like I was a fucking idiot. 

-The club.-He explained.-Mexicans... As bitter and fat as they come. 

-What's their deal with us? Why would they do something like this? 

-For kicks and gigs?-He sighted.-They lost the IRA business to us and when we aligned with them, they ran to the N9ners. 

-Oh, so they're pals? Great. -I rolled my eyes.-Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I'll figure it out. Quintin will be back and running before the end of the week. -I smiled. Chris smiled back and left. 

It was an option to consider. I had never heard of The Inferno's Boys MC. No one had ever mentioned it before. Yet, my bet was in something else and I wished Chris would've mentioned it, because if it was coming from me, it would sound very convenient, considering my position and the history between us. I was willing to bet my own two hands that it was all Richard's doing.  He wanted Quintin gone. He had tried to recruit me to do his dirty work before. When he lost me, he ran to whoever was willing to take the job. Now, the N9ners are stupid, young and naïve, but they're not retarded. They would never help Richard and begin a war with us, knowing we could exterminate them easily, just out of the goodness of their hearts. Nothing Richard could give them, no money could make up for the risk they were taking by bumping heads with us. Nothing but blood. And that's why Richard killed Mathew's brother. 'Cause he knew revenge would be a strong enough motive for Mathew to risk his own life.