4)Family Tree

I was outside of the court, having a smoke, trying to calm myself down as I waited for the attorney to have a word with him when someone held my arm softly from behind. I was startled and turned around fast, with my fist in the air.

-Easy, mijo!-A man said in a weird accent. I had no idea who he was, but after looking better, I realized it was the same man sitting in the back of my court room. He looked very old, with a very tanned wrinkled skin. He had a black moustache, white on the edges above his thin lips and a funny white cowboy hat. Something about his eyes... I almost felt wiser myself just by looking into his eyes. And the way he looked at me, it was like he knew me. He had this tender look as if he was happy to see me again, however I had never seen this man my whole life. 

-Who are you?-I asked him, raising my eyebrow. I was genuinely intrigued. 

-You turned out alright.-He smiled. I was so confused.-I'm glad you did, Mike. My name's Quintin. I was a friend of your mama. 

-I don't think so. Look, man, I think you're a little confused. See, my mom didn't have friends at all. We moved around a lot so... Must be the years, man.-I patted his shoulder and turned my back on him.

-Not that one. I meant your real mom.-He said.  I turned to face him once again. I felt my heart race. -Katniss Jackson...-He smiled.-She was something, I'll tell you that!-He laughed. I didn't know my real mom's name up until that moment. I had never found the courage to actually dig her up. Then suddenly, this rage possessed me. 

-A friend of my biological mother is definitely no friend of mine. See I don't deal well with people who can't handle responsibility, people who leave their loved ones behind, cowards! So you can crawl back under whatever rock you came from. I've got business to attend to.-I tried to turn my back on him again but he grabbed me by the arm, turned me and hit me with a right hook. That old man was stronger than he looked! He nearly knocked me out. 

-Get some sense into your head, homey!-He was pissed off.-Don't dare speak of your mama in that tone, let alone say the things you did! 'Cause next time instead of staring into these beautiful eyes of mine, you'll be staring inside my gun's barrel!-He looked me in the eyes for a moment, then sighted.-C'mon! Straighten up. -He looked around.-We don't want people to think an old man just kicked Mike Jackson's ass. -I looked at him, in disbelief. 

-Who the fuck are you?! 

-I told you! I'm Quintin, an old friend of your mom and apparently I came to introduce you to your family. Let's have a beer somewhere, I'll bring you up to speed. 

-You are one crazy bastard! 

-Yeah, I've been told. Let's roll, kid!-He told me, patting me in the back strongly.-You've got a lot to learn.-As he was dragging me away, I spotted the attorney out of the corner of my eye. 

-I'll be right there. Like I said, business. -I tried to set myself free from his grip. 

-You don't wanna do that, Mike. Trust me. 

-I just wanna have a word with the man... 

-Look, I don't know you, not one bit. But like I said I was pretty close to your mother. I know the look, kid. Jacksons... They're all the same. Let's get out of here before you ruin your life too. 

For some reason, I trusted the man. I nodded and followed him. We walked in silence to this pub. He sat down and ordered two beers. As we waited, we just stared at each other. I was so confused, yet there he was sitting in front of me, smiling softly, in his brown dress shirt, with the top buttons undone. 

-So...-I broke the ice.-What are you? Texas' sheriff?-I asked him. He laughed. 

-No connection to the law, mijo. Quite the contrary... -Our beers were served.

-I feel I must warn you... You know, before the conversation gets out of hand... I'm a police officer. At least for now... 

-Oh, Mike... I know what you are. I'm only interested in trying to understand who you are.-He smiled again, raised his beer, cheering me and chug it down. I took a sip as well, trying to figure him out.-Well, let's meet then. I'm Quintin. As off right now, I am somewhat naked. I thought it would make the introductions easier if I came unarmed.-He laughed.-Are you familiar with Mcs?

-Mcs? As in Motorcycle clubs? 

-That's right. 

-Well, I would kind of suck at my job if I wasn't. It ain't much of a problem around here. 

-Yeah, it's a boring town. Anyway. I am the President of The Dirty Angels Mc. 

-Yeah, I've heard the name around... 1%ers aren't you? 

-I'm starting to think the vest would make this all easier. Yes, that's right. -He chugged down some more beer. There was a moment of silence. 

-So what's a criminal buying a beer to an officer for?  I don't play that game, man. Whatever you think I will sell myself for... I don't care who you're friends with. 

-Chill, homey! I got no interest in your dying badge. Like I said, don't care what you are. Only here for who you are. 

-Maybe I'll make it easier for you. I'm Mike and I'm a police officer. You're Quintin and you're a criminal. And since this isn't  "a cop and a criminal walk in a bar" kind of joke, I think it's pretty clear why we can't be sharing this table. -He laughed. 

-Oh, the hostility... So typical. Son, I could tell you're a Jackson even if I didn't know. Anyway, so there I was, doing my criminal stuff, when one of my brothers comes along and says someone stole my kill. I was surprised 'cause see... Usually people don't do shit for me unless I pay them to. I asked him what happened and he said the cops had took him out. All good up until he said the cops took out the entire gang as well. That raised a little flag. See, that's not typical police work. So I dug, turns out it was some dude named Mike Jackson. Now, I knew a Jackson back when I was just "Brains" and the method matches. So then, and since my schedule was clear, I had to drag my ass down to this little shithole of a town to make sure. I've been around for a while. The first time I saw you I could swear I was seeing a ghost. Dios mio, scared the living crap out of me! Your eyes, exactly like your mom. Your lips, copy paste from your father. And as I sit here now, I am sure it's you, the golden boy, the perfect fusion, both of them inside you as one. I can't believe...-He showed up a huge genuine smile.-It's you! I looked for you everywhere for years! It cut like a knife when I found you in a pig suit, but we're about to fix that. 

-So...-I cleared my voice. It was definitely too much info.-My parents' were club members? 

-Your parents' built a legacy... They were not just club members. They changed the history of the club! However...-He sighted and suddenly his expression turned heavy with sadness.-It's a story for another time, mijo. Let's just say the club didn't understand your parents and their vision. They were young, naïve, crazy in love with each other... Your mom was the strongest woman I've ever met. Your dad was one hell of a man! Together, they were unstoppable! The club we were couldn't handle them, they couldn't see... But we have improved, I have been in the President chair for 10 years now. Things changed, I followed your parents' vision. And now, I am here to bring you home. -He smiled.

-I ain't going nowhere old man.-I laughed and sipped my beer again. He looked confused. 

-What do you mean? You must come with me. The legacy awaits. 

-Look, Quintin... I don't give a shit about no criminal legacy. So, my parents were Bonnie and Clyde. Good for them! I have a life here. I built myself a life! What did you expect? Me to drop everything and run away with you, guns blazing? You'll be Butch and I'll be Sundance, that it? Please.-I laughed.-Thanks for filling up the family tree. Next time I catch you down here, I'll throw your ass in jail. -I got up.-Nice talk.-I left.