31

Chapter 31- Kurtz
Natalie

Finally, after ages of searching me and Jughead had found contact with a Ghoulie. It was difficult trying to find a Ghoulie when we had been informed that there was only one left.

"So, you're really the last one, huh?" I asked as I sat down beside my brother in a booth at Pops. We sat opposite a Ghoulie named Verne. "You're the last Ghoulie standing?"

"Where's the rest of your crew, Verne?" Jughead asked. We were strangely unconvinced how there was only one Ghoulie left out of hundreds.

"After we lost Malachai, then Penny, no one knew who to look to, who to follow, so most of the Ghoulies went to the Gargoyles, started playing G&G" Verne told us.

"Now that Tall Boy's dead, do you know who their leader is?" Jughead asked.

"The closest thing to a leader is a whack job named Kurtz whose keeping the game going" Verne answered.

"Do you know where he is?" I asked. "Can you tell me where to go?"

Verne nodded and told us the location of where to find Kurtz and the Gargoyles hideout. With this information we headed out, Jughead payed for Vernes food as a thank you and we walked out into the parking lot.

"I hope you know I'm not letting you go alone" Jughead reminded me as we hopped on our motorcycles and started to drive away from Pops.

"Obviously. So let's speed up" I nodded. We made our way to a hidden run down building that definitely looked like somewhere someone playing G&G would be hiding.

Once the bikes were parked up we walked into the building. An uncomfortable, cold feeling hit us as we walked around. Loud rock music echoed around and Jughead shone his torch light around at the walls which were full of graphite. The light shone at some Gargoyles who flinched back and hid in the dark corners of the dark room. The limbs of plastic baby dolls hung from the ceiling which disgusted me and only made me want to get this over with so that me and Jughead could leave quicker. There were Gargoyles playing the game on the floor with open packets of fizzle rocks in front of them along with players in Gargoyle masks. Me and Jughead walked towards a large skull above a gargoyle statue. We looked around before being put off guard by glowing eyes in the dark watching us.

"Are your Kurtz?" Jughead asked the boy.

"We're here to talk. One leader to another" I said as I stepped towards him. I glanced around and then took a seat on a stool opposite Kurtz.

"I'm the Serpent Queen, and I'm here to make an offer" I told him. "You're all wanted for making and dealing Fizzle Rocks. But if you and your Gargoyles join my gang I can promise you immunity from the sheriff's office and the law"

"Law" Kurtz repeated in a deep voice. "Immunity. I have looked into the eyes of the King. And his...is the only law. The law of Gargoyles, carved in stone"

"Right. So, you wanna play a game? I'm a game master. Let me be your game master" Jughead spoke up.

"You think Gryphons and Gargoyles...is a game?" Kurtz questioned. He spoke slow and as he remained in the dark he was hard to describe.

"You are mistaken" Kurtz stood up which startled me, making Jughead force me up and we stepped back as Kurtz stepped towards me.

"You come here as a Queen, but you are not a Queen and you think we are playing a game" Kurtz muttered. His face was only inches from mine and I showed strength as I showed no fear towards Kurtz. "But we are living...a prophecy and you are all just sacrifices waiting to be made" Kurtz sat back down and I glared at him. "The Gargoyle King lives. He will decide. And he will choose. And only the worthy will ascend"

"Lets go" I sighed as I turned back to Jughead. "He's made his choice" Jughead nodded as he took my hand and we left the hideout.

We made our way back to the trailer, walking in silence and walking into the trailer in silence. Dad, Mom and Jellybean were sat around in the living room eating dinner. Dad and Mom looked up at us and I sighed as Jughead removed his Serpent jacket, hanging it up.

"How'd it go with the Ghoulies?" Dad asked first.

"They don't exist anymore. They're part of the Gargoyles now" I answered with a sigh as I walked towards him and sat in the spare space beside him.

"Same guys different makes. Did you recruit them?" Mom asked.

"No. I'll find another way to save the Serpents" I shook my head.

"Gargoyles aren't the answer. I don't want them anywhere near us" Jughead spoke as he took a seat the other side of me. "They, uh...They're in so deep into G&G. It's like they're lost in a jungle"

"It was like a horror movie" I sighed.

"Take it easy. Get some food in you. Both of you" Dad said concerned as he noticed how affected the Gargoyle hideout had hit us and how terrified we now looked.

"Honestly unsure if I would keep it down" I scoffed.

________

Later in the evening, Jellybean suggested some sibling bonding by watching a movie. Me, Jughead and our little sister all gathered on the couch in front of the tv, cuddled together as the movie played. The screen went dark and suddenly the trailer door flew open and me and Jughead jumped up quickly, pulling Jellybean behind us. We pulled out our pocket knives as I had my arm protectively in front of Jellybean and Jughead had his arm in front of me.

"Gargoyles" I muttered as I glared at the masked figures.

"Jellybean" Jughead whispered as he stepped into his protective big brother role.

"It's okay, kids! Stand down!" Mom yelled as she followed in, smiling at us as our faces turned from worry to confusion.

"The hell is this!?" I snapped. "Are they here with you!?"

"I did what you couldn't" Mom sighed. She glanced at the masked figure behind her and scoffed. "Ugh, take off those stupid masks"

The figure moved his mask, revealing Kurtz. Mom stepped towards me and Jughead.

"This is a bad idea" Jughead muttered.

"This is a stupid idea more like" I scoffed.

"Sweetheart, sometimes, beggars can't be choosers" Mom said as she patted my shoulder. "I know you guys will find a way to work together. We need all the manpower we can get to take this town back . Trust me"

________

"Ugh! She annoys me so much!" I snapped as I paced around my room. Sweet Pea watched me from my bed with concern filling in his eyes.

"So she really persuaded the Gargoyles to join the Serpents?" Sweet Pea questioned.

"She must of payed them or there's something they are getting that she promised them so they'd join" I muttered.

"They sound dangerous" Sweet Pea scoffed.

"Yes! And she keeps saying to trust her but I don't!" I snapped.

"Hey. Calm down" Sweet Pea sighed as he stood up, walking towards me and embracing his arms around me tightly.

"She just frustrates me" I sighed as I buried my head into his chest.

"I know" He sighed.

I looked back up at him. "How are you doing?"

"How am I doing?" Sweet Pea repeated.

"Your injuries?" I pointed out.

"Oh. Oh no I'm fine" Sweet Pea nodded with a smile. "Might get some cool scars on my arm though"

"Cool scar gang" I smiled.

"Yours are cooler" Sweet Pea winked.

"Totally" I rolled my eyes at him.