8

Chapter 8- Cellmates
Natalie

I was sat across from Archie. We were sat in silence as we were lost in our own minds. Neither of us knew exactly what to say. What was the best thing to say. But Archie spoke up first.

"How long have you been here for?" He asked me. He looked worried. Concerned even.

"Wasn't told" I replied. I didn't look up as I spoke. Mainly because I was hurting. Archie treating my wound didn't go well and we both were unsure if it was treated correctly so we had to only hope it wouldn't get infected.

"We need answers" Archie spoke up again. "Reasons to why you have been brought here. Paid even"

"What happened to you?" I asked, changing the subject from me to Archie. "Your face?"

"Oh. It was um...a fight" Archie answered me. "I'm part of the fighting club here..."

"So they treat you like animals. Put you in a ring and watch while you fight" I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah" Archie sighed.

"Is that tattoo helping?" I asked again as I pointed to his Serpent tattoo.

"Not really. I had to earn my way to sit with the Serpents. Even then, the Ghoulies found some way of getting to me" Archie replied with a sigh. "Mad Dog tried to help me. He was my cell mate before- before he disappeared"

"What's the dude with the glasses called?" I asked quickly.

"Warden Norton" Archie replied. "He put me in the fighting team" Just like he heard his name, the Warden appeared.

"Thought you might like some answers" He spoke sternly again. I sat up quickly and Archie looked across to him.

"She hasn't done anything. She'll get her ass killed in here!" Archie snapped.

"Unless you kill me first" I muttered as I glared at the Warden.

"Easy Andrews. I'm only doing what I'm being requested to do" The Warden sighed.

"And that is?" I asked, still glaring at him sharply.

"To keep the Red Paladin and Silver Snake together" The Warden answered.

"Red Paladin?" Archie repeated.

"Silver Snake?" I repeated.

The Red Paladin was clearly Archie, the Silver Snake was clearly was obviously me. What they meant, we didn't know.

"Character names" Warden said.

"For what game?" Archie asked.

"Gryphons And Gargoyles" Warden Norton answered back.

"Dilton..." I gasped. "Him and Ben were playing that. And then they were like...possessed...they drank poison" 

"Wait what!?" Archie quickly said as he looked over at me.

"Yeah it happened a while ago" I sighed. "Wait, how long have I been here?"

"Four days" He answered me without a thought.

"Four days!?" Both me and Archie snapped.

"Correct" Warden nodded.

"Is Natalie a replacement for Mad Dog?" Archie asked, glaring at Warden. "Your not going to put her out in an arena and expect her to fight some guy twice her size. Especially not after you've stabbed her!"

"Oh dear boy. We do with her what we get told. If that is to kill her, then we do" Warden sighed.

"What?" I mumbled. The Warden nodded and walked away. I stormed over to the door, gripping the bars and yelling.

"Let me out! Let me the hell go!" I yelled at him as I shook the door. Tears rolled down my cheeks until Archie pulled me back, into his arms where I cried against his shoulder. He was my only comfort at this moment. Together we were trapped behind bars. Both of us were innocent teenagers who didn't deserve this. But all of this, was Hiram's work. I knew it was.

________

As Archie lay asleep on his bed, I was laying awake. I didn't trust sleeping. I didn't trust anything going on. What they'd be able to do to me while I was asleep scared me. Archie was weak, I was weak. Against a group of armed guys we'd be defeated without even trying.

With the information I had, I gathered that me and Archie were apart of Gryphons and Gargoyles, the game that Dilton and Ben were playing. We must be an important piece of the game so the man in black paid for me to be kidnapped, off the streets and somewhere where he'd know I was. Maybe so it was easier for him to kill me?

I thought back to what me, Reggie and Veronica had discussed. Hiram was working with Penny, Malachai and Minetta. What was the betting that they must be in on this. What if this was all the work of Hiram? After all, he's the reason Archies behind bars. He has the money to put me there as well.

I sighed as I placed my head back against the wall, watching as Archie slept quietly. I glanced away from him and to the door. I just wished Sweet Pea would be here for me.

Sweet Pea.

It hit me suddenly. I remembered my argument with him. Him kissing Josie. But then I remembered something else. I had kissed Reggie. I felt so stupid as I sat in silence. Suddenly, Archie made a slight groan as he twisted his head. His eyes opened slowly and he mumbled before speaking.

"You should sleep..." He whispered to me.

"I can't..." I whispered back. I shook my head at the thought of sleeping.

Archie sat up, swinging his legs round and he stood up, walking across to me. He sat on my bed, pushing himself back against the wall and he pulled his arm around me, pulling me closer to him. He placed his head on mine and closed his eyes.

"Now sleep..." He whispered.

I slightly smiled as I nudged my head onto his chest, closing her eyes slowly. I didn't realise how tired I was but I fell asleep quickly.

Archie was going to protect me. There was no doubting it.