Chapter 26

Naomi's P. O. V:

Gyutaro drawls, "You're different... you're different from the other Hashira I've killed. I bet you were special since you were born. Blessed with talent. I mean it. I'm jealous. I want you dead as soon as possible. You and your little friend, too."

Uzui laughs. "... "Talent"? Ha! Do I look like I have talent to you? You've got a pretty rosy outlook on life if that's what you think. Then again, you've been hiding out here for hundreds of years. So I guess you've got a pretty ignorant view of the world. This is a big country and it's teeming with incredible people. Some are a mystery, and a few have a natural way with the sword... and become a Hashira in two months. So I'm chosen? Gimme a break." A glare settles on his face as he yells, "You have no clue how much I've lost over the years!"

Gyutaro groans, "Uuurrgghh. Then how do you explain it? Why haven't you died yet? My Blood Sickles are poisonous... no matter how long I wait, you don't feel any effects! What's going on?!"

Uzui answers, "I'm from a family of shinobi—ninja. I've built up a resistance to poison."

I input, pointing my free thumb at my forehead wound, "And I simply crystallised the blood in my wound to halt its flow and slow down the effects of the poison. It's just a little something I taught myself over the past four months."

Uzui looks at me, impressed. "Not bad."

The female demon exclaims in disbelief, "They died out in the Edo Period! Enough lies!"

Uzui tells her, "It's no lie. Shinobi still exist. I had nine siblings. By the time I was 15, 7 were dead. My father was afraid the clan was doomed... so he forced us all through intense training. The only survivors were me and my younger brother. My little brother... was just like my father. He was just as cold and heartless. Minions were expandable. And his wife was just for making babies.

"He had no respect for others. He was stubborn and cold. I could never be like that."

I glance at Uzui when he falls silent.

Gyutaro calls, "Hey! You! Hey? Hee, hee, hee, hee, hee! That poison's working after all, isn't it? It's just taking effect very slowly. You almost bluffed me into thinking that it wasn't. Hee, hee, hee!"

Uzui retorts, "No. It wasn't working at all. Shall we dance? I'm in peak condition. I could dance and sing and eat a dozen bowls of tempura right now—with style!"

Uzui and I luge for the demons but our eyes widen when the girl thrusts her obi towards us. Uzui and I kick the girl away from us.

Gyutaro yells, "Nobody kicks my sister... you scum!" He swings one of his Blood Sickles and a drop of blood flies toward Uzui and I. We raise our swords to block but several explosions go off upon impact.

The girl's obi brushes against one of those balls and she cries out in pain. Uzui and I stare in shock.

Gyutaro explains, "Those beads explode with enough force to hurt demons. And they go off at the slightest impact. Her obi accidentally cut one. She always gets hurt first!"

I pause as Uzui grips one of his swords by the tip of the blade and throws it at Gyutaro. The blade barely nicks his neck as he ducks to avoid it. The sword goes flying back to the Sound Hashira.

Uzui clicks his tongue in disapproval. "Tsk! I didn't finish off this one!"

The girl cries, "That big jerk sliced my neck again! This is so unfair! Why do I always get cut?!" She starts crying.

"Oh, so you've noticed?" Gyutaro asks us.

I demand, "Noticed what?"

"Even if you have noticed, it doesn't matter," Says Gyutaro. "Because sooner or later, you're both going to die. Bit by bit, we're gradually getting closer to winning."

"Are you sure about that?!" We whip our heads to see Inosuke and Zenitsu before the hole in the wall, the blonde asleep like he was before. "You haven't taken me into account! Never forget Inosuke-sama!" He adds, almost as an afterthought, "Oh! And my underling, too!"

Gyutaro questions, "Who're you, exactly?" Uzui and I start as a green and red blue jumps down before us. We were surprised to see Tanjiro crouching in front of Uzui and I. "No matter how many low-tankers you bring, all of your futures are bleak. Everyone does, so don't bother getting all worked up."

Uzui says, "We're the Demon Slayer Corps... and we're going to win."

The girl shouts back, "You can't win! Not if the Hashira you're counting on are poisoned!" This causes the Kamado to whip his shocked face to Uzui and I.

Uzui says, "Listen up, Demonette! We'll win and we'll do it easily! Naomi and I may be poisoned, but we're still more than your equal! And don't underestimate humans! These four are the very best of all my minions! They'll stand true to the end!"

Inosuke agrees, "Yeah! That's right!"

Uzui finishes, "Cut off their teeth and they'll fight with their limbs! Besides, I've already figured out how to beat you two! It's cutting off your heads simultaneously! I'm right, aren't I? You know I am! Otherwise, you'd just absorb your little sister and consolidate your powers! But that'd make you vulnerable! You guys are so simple! Ha haha!! I've got it! I've practically won already!"

Gyutaro says, "Many demon skaters have died trying to accomplish that "easy" task. Including some Hashira. I've eaten 15 of you. And my sister seven more."

"Yeah," She agrees. "Until dawn breaks, none of you are safe... and the king night is on our side!"

The obi demon shoots right past Tanjiro, Uzui and I and right for Inosuke and Zenitsu, up on the roof.

Tanjiro calls worriedly, "Zenitsu!"

Inosuke calls back to him, "Why don't you leave worm-woman to me and sleepy head? You guys handle that mantis! Let's go!"

"Watch yourselves!"

"We will!"

"... Not if my little sister has anything to say about it," Says Gyutaro, sneering.

Zenitsu says to the girl, "YOU! Before you die, I have a task for you. Apologise to the girl whose ear you nearly tore off. It may be your money that pays for their clothing, food and housing, but... those girls are not your toys. You won't get away with this."

"Spare me the boring lecture," She seethes. "And what makes you think an ugly thing like you can talk to me like an equal? In the Entertainment District, women are always being bought and sold. Their owners can sell them, but then or break them. Those who provide mo value don't deserve to be treated like humans. The ugly have no right to eat."

Zenitsu replies, "You were mistreated in the past, but that means you know it's bad to treat others that way."

"You're wrong," The girl growls. "The sufferings of my past were lessons... on what to do to others as revenge! If I don't cause misery equal to my own unhappiness, I'll never balance the scales! That's how it is when you're a demon! And we will kill anyone who tries to tell us otherwise!"

"... And in the same way, we'll slit your throats too."

Gyutaro moves with lightning speed, and gets right in front of Tanjiro. He brings the point of his curved blade to the boy's neck, aiming to pierce it.

Tanjiro wasn't fast enough. So I grab the collar of his jacket and throw him away before the boy could blink. Several clangs ring throughout the building as Uzui and I clash our blades against Gyutaro's.

As we do, Uzui and I fend off the swarm of obi from above us. I hear Gyutaro's sister laughing gleefully.

"With Guutaro awake now, I can use my full strength! I can see everything! Every move you make!"

Inosuke says in annoyance as he appears beside the blonde, "Just shut up! I can't stand your screeching voice!"

As Uzui and I pull back, Gyutaro chuckles, sneering, "Heh, heh, heh... you were lying about their capability as Tsuguko. They aren't nearly as good as you said. That won't do! That won't do at all!"