Prologue

Naomi's P. O. V:

I sit trembling as I watch with wide, stunned eyes as my 21 year older brother, Mamoru, slowly collapses. He hits the floor and I could only stare at his dead body. He'd jumped in front of me to protect me from the demon who'd killed our parents.

I stagger to my feet and snatch up my mother's nichirin katana, as she's the former Crystal Hashira, my father the former Flame Hashira, and leave my house, escaping from the demon feasting on my brother. I'd taken a few safe yards away before I collapse.

The sun was setting as I raise my head to the sky and scream up at it, crying to the heavens. Once I'd let out all those tears, I fled my home.

Since that day, my heart died and I only cry when I'm alone. I'd heard of a man named Sakonji Urokodaki, a demon slayer.

I'd decided I wanted revenge and sought him out. When I did, he'd accepted me as another of his pupils and trained me.

Sakonji saw that I was filled with pain was broken on the inside, so he let me take out my rage and hatred for demons during my training. I'd also met another boy named Giyu Tomioka. I'd tried to shove him away from my heart but he insisted on us being friends.

We'd trained together and lived together with the others at Sakonji's house. And, the more time I spent with these people, I started to feel emotions again, and my anger from two years ago melted away.

But I never stopped hating the demon who massaged my family or the demon man who'd ordered it to kill my mother. Not for one day.

Then, came the Final Selection, where we would've granted the title of demon slayer.

                       🗡🗡🗡

"We'll be leaving," Sabito Says to Sakonji. We stand before him with fox warding masks strapped to the sides of our heads, to help keep demons at bat so that we might survive.

"I wish all of you the best of luck," He says, a smile in his voice.

My friends and I head to MT. Fujikasane where the Final Selection would take place.

As we head up the steps to the temple, we're surrounded by wisteria. It's supposed to be out of season, so we were all surprised to see it in bloom. When Giyuu, Sabito, Makomo and I reach the top, we're surprised to find so many people gathered.

We step through the crowd and stop as we gaze around in amazement at the sheer amount of contestants.

"There's so many," Says Giyu.

Makomo says, smiling, "These masks are amazing, don't you guys think?"

I say in agreement, "They sure are."

"This'll be easy," Sabito says, grinning. "Let's all make it to the end."