Chapter 4

Naomi's P. O. V:

I prepare to attack the shadow demon before I charge at it, sword gripped in hand.

The demon sends shadows lashing for me but I manage to evade most of them. One strikes my arm and another my stomach, knocking me backwards. I catch myself as I skid back.

"Crystal Breathing, Ninth Form, Ruby: Flame Tiger," I say lowly before I straighten and create a tiger out of fire from my rainbow katana. The tiger roars as it charges for the demon. It just laughs as it lashes at the tiger with its shadows. The Flame Tiger is destroyed as I charge at the demon. "Crystal Breathing, First Form: Quartz Slash!" I bring my katana around in a powerful swing, but it's just blocked by the shadows.

If I could just get an opening, I could strike it with my First Form!

I run at the demon as I try slashing at it again, this time with my Emerald technique. "Crystal Breathing, Seventh Form, Wind, Emerald: Claws-Purifying Wind!" I slash my blade horizontally to my right and four claws made of wind head for the demon.

It just melts into its shadow and the shadow zooms out of the way before my attack hits it. "It vanished again," I think as I gaze around for it. "Stay calm. Where will it strike next?" I notice that the sky is getting darker as well. "I have to end this quickly soon, before the sun sets."

I feel an attack coming from behind before I leap up into the air, avoiding it.  I continue to dodge more attacks as they come up from the shadow in the ground.

This was starting to get annoying.

I land and try to slash my sword for the demon, but it just keeps blocking each of my attacks with its shadows. The demon manages to land an attack in my right side, making me cry out as I'm thrown backwards.

I flip around and skid back, managing to catch myself before I could hit the ground. I run at the demon and slash for it again, but it vanishes into its shadow and flits around me.

I eye the flittering shadow with narrowed pink and purple eyes. The shadow nears me as the demon leaps out from it, shadows swirling eagerly.

"Crystal Breathing, Tenth Form, Amethyst: Sakura Dance!" I call before flicking my blade outward. Countless sakura shoot for the shadow demon, spinning at rapid speeds.

Most of them bounce harmlessly off the shadows but three of them manage to slice the demon's arm and shoulders. Yes!

I narrow my eyes as I land and face the demon once more. I know that attack wouldn't be enough to kill it, but I finally got through!

I repeat the same attack and got the same result. As I go to charge at the demon, it turns into a shadow before zigzagging around me at speed. I pause as I follow the shadow with my gaze, hand tightening on my sword.

As the demon re-emerges beside me, on my right, I go to slash at it with my sword but it vanishes before I could strike it. I swing my sword for the demon again when it reappears in front of me, but miss. This goes on for several more minutes, with me slashing around at the shadow demon, only to miss each time.

Finally, when the demon reappears on my left and goes to strike me, I spin around with my enhanced speed and pierce the demon's chest with my katana. It pauses, as though in surprise.

"Crystal Breathing, First Form: Quartz Slash," I say lowly. "It's over, now."

I pull my katana out and half turn away as I flick the demon's blood off it. The demon is then crystallised as I sheath my katana. Then, a heartbeat later, the crystal encasing the demon shatters with a pop, causing the demon to disintegrate as the crystals rain down gently, like rain.

By now, the sun has completely set. I knew I couldn't leave to meet up with Giyu right now, so I'll find an inn to stay at for the night.

I start heading back to Daisuke's house to give him my report.

"You've defeated the demon, then," Says Daisuke in relief. "Thank you."

"I'm sorry about your girlfriend," Takeda-san," I say sympathetically.

"I know nothing could ever bring her back, but at least, now the demon is gone," He says, tears welling up in his eyes. "Where will you go now?"

"Since it's dark out, I was going to find an inn to stay at tonight. I have to meet up with my boyfriend in the morning," I reply, standing up slowly.

Jumping to his feet, Daisuke says, "Then, please, stay here for the night! It's the least I can do after you'd defeated the demon."

I think about it for a minute, then say appreciatively, "I suppose I will. Thank you, Takeda-san."

He smiles as he says, "Of course. There's a spare room you can use."

So I ended up staying for the night, and was even given dinner and breakfast. The following morning, I stand outside the house as I thank Daisuke once again for his hospitality, before I start to make my way for the town Giyu was supposed to be in currently.

As I walk for the entrance, Aira flaps down towards me but hovers o the air as I look up. She caws, "Naomi Suishou! Head to a town one day from here to take out a demon! Giyu Tomioka and Shinobu Kocho will meet you there."

I smile at the thought of fighting with the Insect Hashira as Aira flies away. It's been almost a whole month since I last saw her.

Once I'd left the town, I leap through the trees to get to my next destination faster.

I wonder how Giyu and Shinobu did on their previous mission?

I was excited to be teaming up with the two of them again.