Chapter 36: Department of Mysteries

~~~
Sirius, Lupin, Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley. Malfoy turned and raised his wand, but Tonks had already sent a Stunning Spell right at him. Harry did not wait to see whether it had made contact, but dived off the dais out of the way. The Death Eaters were completely distracted by the appearance of the members of the Order, who were now raining spells down upon them as they jumped from step to step toward the sunken floor: Through the darting bodies, the flashes of light, Harry could see Neville crawling along. He dodged another jet of red light and flung himself flat on the ground to reach Neville.
~~~

~ Mathilda POV ~

Apparating at this stage of pregnancy was highly risky, but with enough precision and focus I would do it. I could do it. I had been apparating so many times in my life. This would work. I directed all my focus to the apparating, blocking out every other thought. Just the ministry was in my focus. Taking a deep, steadying breath I worked the spell. A second later I was swirled up, clutching my stomach tightly. The cool air brushed my legs, my heart thrumming against my rib cage.

And—

And then I perfectly landed in the ministry, my heart still pounding fast. Stroking over my belly, I loosed a relieved breath. It was fine. I was fine, nothing went wrong. The baby was fine as well, eagerly kicking in my belly. He or she had probably been swirled around in my tummy as well, but was fine now.

I knew where they had been summoned, I knew where I had to go and so I dashed into the direction of the Department of Mysteries, always making sure I would not overdo it for the baby. I put a lot of focus on my breathing, takinh steady, deep breaths.

With fast steps I approached the door. Breathe in, breathe out. Turning the knob, the door cracked open, revealing the whole scenery.

Part of me knew that this was utterly and completely stupid. Terribly stupid, but—

But this time I would not ket Sirius go through this alone. And especially not Daisy.

Gasping, I smacked my hands over my mouth to hold back a shriek.

The children were battling Death Eaters.

Children against fully grown adults.

Those idiots were taking on children, just because they were too pathetic to fight people their own age.

They were fighting vigorously and it left me in awe how well the children — how well Daisy, Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Harry and two other teenagers — blocked off and countered the curses of the Death Eaters.

Twelve of them.

Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange, Bellatrix Lestrange, Antonin Dolohov, Avery, Walden Macnair, Crabbe Snr, Nott, Augustus Rookwood, Jugson, Mulciber, and Lucius Malfoy.

Against seven children and thank god five Order members. Now six with me.

"Avada Kedavara!"

Green light shot out of the wand of Mulciber, darted directly at Tonks.

Mulciber. How long had it been since I had last seen him?

"Stupefy!"

I blocked the curse. Without much thought, my whole focus on Tonks. I had made another apparation and I was all of a sudden right in front of him and Tonks. Tonks shrieked loudly, shock written over her face when she took in my figure. She probably also had thought I would not come. Surprise.

Mulciber hit the wall behind him. Tonks' face relaxed and she sent me a thankful nod, before immediately being attacked by Jugson and swirling towards him, her cloak waving behind her. But she fought him off, batteling him with great talent.