𝟷...ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ

"Snowflakes are just kisses sent from angles in the heavens Nabi. If you're good, then it will embrace you. If you're bad, then the snowflakes will burn you."

January 3, 2022 

The first snow of the new year is descending from the sky.

Nabi watched it fall, a cup of half drunken hot chocolate in her hands, watching intently as a single, large, snowflake made its way down from the sky before finally piling atop on the already piled up snow on the road.

The snow glistened under the city lights, reflecting the buildings around it as it continued to obstruct the road, preventing people from walking properly. Nabi could see, from where she was sitting in the cafe, couples holding hands with one another, mothers grabbing their children's hands tightly to prevent them from falling. Some laughing, some grumbling, some shivering from the cold.

Others looked up brightly at the sky above them, a different gleam in their eyes as they watched the kisses sent from Angels fall from the gray sky.

Nabi took another tiny sip of hot chocolate, desperate to not finish it before he arrives.

Nabi watched a young, lively couple across the street with longing eyes. They were playing with the snow, the girls hair drizzles with snowflakes with the guy's nose turning pink. They were clearly shivering and cold but they didn't care. They were having too much fun to care about getting sick.

The girl laughed at a face the guy made and Nabi swears she could hear that hearty laugh all the way in the cafe she is sitting in.

Young, Innocent, Love.

Nabi wondered what it felt to be that carefree. She'll never know.

The cafe doorbell chimes in once again and Nabi snapped her head towards it, a stimulated reflex by now, and she craned her neck to identify the stranger who just walked in.

It is a guy. He's wearing a black padded jacket, a black mask and a black beanie.

Nabi felt her heart pick up pace. A smile birthed its way of her face and she lifted her right hand to wave at the person, thinking he's trying to locate her as well.

The guy turned around, clearly trying to find someone, and Nabi felt a pit of confusion and disappointment sink in as she saw his face. Embarrassed, she retracted her hand away as naturally as she could and hoped no one had noticed her silly act. Once again she had left her excitement get better of her. She should know better by now.

Nabi quietly returned back to the act of observing the skies outside.

Nabi was never a fan of the winter season. She hated how the harsh wind cut into her cheeks, breaking her smooth skin, and she thoroughly disliked how the days got shorter and the night longer. Winter only brought hard, long, cold days and suffering and lonesome each year. She often wished she lived in a more tropical country, like Thailand or Singapore.

Sure, the festive season in fun. Nabi isn't Christian nor has she ever celebrated Christmas, but the festive season sure had a way of making you feel giddy and warm inside. From Christmas songs to Christmas decorations to fifty percent off in stores, it is a nice time to be around. However as soon as December signed off and January got its spotlight, Winter just became hard and boredom.

Nabi's father loved winter. It was his favorite season, although Nabi never understood why. Unfortunately for him,  the last season he ever saw was winter. The heavens decided it was time to call him before spring even had a chance to roll in.