Chapter 25: The Darkness Lurking

I just finished a job that wanted me to murder my own species. I, a dragon, got a mission to kill another dragon. 

Long story short, Girmold gave me a mission that he didn't look at himself. Although he said, "I got you a mission one tier down so you could have a break from yesterday," He didn't realize that he gave me a mission to kill other lesser dragons a quarter-hour flight away from the town. I was conflicted but remembered that my kind fight each other for territory and because of different families. So if they kill just for that, it won't be a big difference if I kill them for justice... Right?

Makes me question what the hell justice is.

It's supposed to be an intermediate-class mission, but they made it low-challenging because of the distance away from the guild and how much I had to travel through the forest. That means I've cheated the system by flying.

How hard is intermediate and challenging class again? That's a lot of info to remember... I need to start remembering classes by their tier instead. 

The dragons found me flying first and tried to murder me in cold blood, and that settles my inner turmoil on whether to kill them or not. There was two adults and probably four others who are their children, who are also already triple my size. They didn't have any magic so the job was a breeze. I brought their horns and teeth as proof.

When I came back, I vented on Girmold on how the job he gave me made me question my morals and he was absolutely oblivious to what he did, which made me even more frustrated. I eventually gave up when the maniac laughed when I explained that he got me a job to kill my own species. 

He then told me to fill up the mission paper, trying to not repeat the rookie mistake he missed last time.

************************************

I was waiting in the treetops for Girmold to tell me how I did at my job. But then when I saw him come out of the guild, he was still holding a piece of paper, but both bags of proof were gone. I slithered down the tree and met him.

"What happened? Did I do something wrong?!"

"No, not really. I just forgot to tell you about filling this paper up," He said while handing me the paper again. That's when I knew why there were empty parts of the document whit 'Name: ' and 'Date: '.

"I'll fill it up for ya," He said while pulling out a bottle of ink and a feather-pen.

"Wait, I wanna try something," I said as I dipped a claw into his ink.

"What're you doin-" He paused as I started writing my new full name, Troy Everard, but paused on the date.

"What date is it?"

"13th of June, year 214."

I wrote that down and looked at my writing. Shit, it's fucking ugly.

I looked at it for a second time and realized that this is my signature handwriting. Handwriting which only I can read. My handwriting has always been shit. It never improved since I was 7. And looking at my handwriting again gave me nostalgia.

Girmold snapped me out of it, "Next time, let me write it. Your handwriting is close to the worst I've seen."

I gave him a look of 'Don't you dare', "AHAHAHAHAHAHA no. This is my handwriting, was my handwriting, and always will be my handwriting." I said that a bit too proudly since my writing was probably close to a doctor's writing except that it is just bad, not professional.

"Then I damn well do hope that your handwriting gets better for your own good," he said while taking the sheet of paper back. I could see by the look on his face that he still wants to write it down instead of me, but I couldn't give a flying fuck right now.