Chapter 18: Samples

"Why me?! I've carried him all the way here! It's someone else's turn!" Besley complained.

"Because you are the one Troy trusts most," Lord Gracius argued. "I don't want anyone to be hurt just because he doesn't trust them to pick him up..."

Besley pouts as he realized that he can't defy his father's claim. "Fine." He then picked me up too quickly for my liking and placed me on the table. It's quite cold. I'm lucky it ain't metal, or there will be no way I'm staying on it for a second without freezing.

"I'll go read something in the library," Besley puffed.

"Don't you wanna see what we're going to do to Troy?" The woman asked. That stopped him in his tracks and got him back to the spot he was in a few seconds ago. But he's still frowning.

OoOoOoOoO~ Looks like someone's in a foul mood.

The scientists snickered at this brief drama. "So, we'll going to extract a scale first before withdrawing some blood, because we can get rid of the pain and heal the wound doing the former, but we can't do the same for the latter. We want to do the most uncomfortable-slash-painful last so Troy doesn't try to run away in the middle of the extraction."

Lord Gracius, confused, looked at the woman for a second. "How does that work? Surely creating a wound when cutting off a scale is more painful and damaging than the tiny spot made by a syringe. Doesn't the first then is harder to heal?"

Professor Damian jumped into the conversation to explain, "Because a wound is actual pain and damage to the skin. Potions or normal magic can fix those. What a syringe does, however, is to create such a small speck to either inject a substance or withdraw blood. That damage is small enough to be negligible. Negligible enough that no simple magic nor potions can identify and heal or prevent pain. And the uncomfortable feeling you get when it injects or withdraws... That's probably even harder to get rid of as it is doing no damage at all for any magic to identify. So the process won't be completely comfortable unless we find a way to disable Troy's pain receptors or something. But I assume that's some very complicated magic that no one in this room can do.

I better tell him next time to make explanations shorter because I'm about to sleep right now.

"That is undoubtedly correct, Damian. I wonder why you never went into the science business?" A researcher asked.

Professor Damian shrugged, "By the time I'm interested in such a career, I already had a whole town more-or-less counting on me to manage the building they come in to learn. I do also teach or advise some students here too and I am also experienced in finding the right career from their abilities and knowledge."

"You've gained quite the reputation around here, I see."

Before another conversation would break out, the woman biologist built another wall. "Alright, I'm ready," she announced, holding a scalpel and a pair of some kind of surgical tongs... And a small bag on the table to collect my scales, I assume.

Wait, she's fucking serious!

Karen, if you could do the pain-preventing magic," She said to the other woman scientist. "She's the magician and potion maker in our group.

The only thing I give a shit about her is her name. Every piece of my mind went insane for a few seconds.

KAREN ALERT! KAREN ALERT!

WAIT, just because her name is Karen doesn't mean she's one-

NO! KAREN ALERT!

In that timespan, the woman approached me and I squirmed as my mind still played a nuclear breakdown warning.