Chapter 6: A New Life

Great, I have to endure this.

Due to some doubts from the boy, he was testing my intelligence with words and gestures. I had to wrack my brain up for every idea of how an animal would act in these types of situations. I decided to act like a dog. I don't know if that's how lesser dragons normally act, but I hope it's close enough. I think he might know some stuff about pet dragons because I heard him muttering to himself that very few nobles have lesser dragons as pets and some adventurers have them as familiars through mental magic, which I will totally refuse. I want to be a guardian dragon with freedom, thank you very much.

The next phase was even harder to do. He wanted to test my friendliness with him. When he started petting me or touching my wings, I act a bit tense but accepting to show that I'm grateful that he healed me. When he starts lightly pulling at my tail, I snap in front of his hand as a warning and after the second time, I start growling if his hand gets close to it. I also start growling whenever he wanted to touch my horns or maw.

I want to show him that I'm grateful and potentially friendly, but I don't want him to think that I already trust him a lot. Because that would then create doubts about my intelligence again and he'll start asking if I understand him or not and yadi yada... Yeah, you can imagine the situation.

================================

Before, I healed his back leg from the sprain. I have the potential for healing magic but I only use it for emergencies.

I was hoping that the dragon was smart and would be more trusting of me after I saved him and healed him twice, but the books and teacher were right. Lesser dragons are just wild animals that we can sometimes make our pets.

He's friendly with me, but he won't let me touch parts of his head and his tail. I'd say that is enough trust from a wild animal for now.

"Mister Besley? The king seeks an audience with you and your dragon. Please unlock the room and go to the meeting room now, bringing your dragon."

Wait, how did they know??? Ohh, I think they were guarding my rope and when it disappeared back up, they must've thought I used concealing magic. But, should I go? 

There is a chance I'll get some heavy consequences for running away from such an order. And I don't think the king will just let the dragon go too. Maybe we take care of the problem now and try to convince them that this dragon is good and I can take care of him.

"If Mister won't come out, I'll be forced to use this explosive crystal on your door."

"Wait, don't! I'm sorry! I just needed some time to think!" I shouted, panicking a bit.

I motioned the dragon to come out with me while I was holding the handle, but he stayed put. I don't really know why. Maybe because he feels safe in there? Or maybe because he doesn't want to meet the servant out there? I don't know, I don't care, I've prepared more rashers in my pocket to prepare for situations like this.

I pulled one of them out and baited the dragon. It hesitated for a second but then started following me and snapping at the bait. I always pulled it right before he got it. The servant looked shocked that I actually got the dragon with me and followed me.

Although, halfway through, the dragon used his wings to propel himself beyond what I thought he could reach and got it. But then I pulled out another rasher. I had three prepared in my pocket.

I managed to do this ruse until the meeting room, where two knights let us in but with an eye on the dragon. When I came in, Father's and the king's eyes widened, surprised at how I already partly 'tamed' a wild dragon. I was about to somehow make it stay in the room obediently, but he kept sitting after eating and stayed. Huh.