Chapter 11: Magical Essence

I've been reading...

************************************

*pants* *pants* How could they do all of this for that long?!

Only after 15 minutes did I get very tired. Like, no energy at all. That's when I decided to stop before my energy stoops to dangerous levels.

I saw them do this for at least half an hour and they didn't show a lot of fatigue. Maybe there's something to this?

************************************

And of course, after hunting some rabbits to replenish my energy, I quickly sneaked into the library through the window and tried to find anything about stamina or magic or something.

And I did.

So I read a bit of it. Just 10 minutes really, and I think I know where the energy in casting magic comes from.

So there's this thing called magical essence which is basically the stamina for use using magic. Or in a game, you'd call it mana.

Every magical being has magic essence in them. Monsters actually deplete them when they are killed. The blue orb I absorbed is most likely the magic essence of that vampire cat guy.

A monster only releases a quarter of its magic essence when killed, and if left untouched or unabsorbed, it can turn into magic crystals which can then be used for other types of magic including communication, illusion, mind-reading, and others that are unobtainable for mages. All they need to do is to learn basic skills of alchemy to have the right elixirs and spells to change them into the different types of crystals.

While humans can't absorb the magic essence, other monsters can, and it can either heal them, make their magic essence stronger, or both if the magic essence is strong enough to do both. But it won't replace the mana that you used. It just adds more into the max mana you could have.

And of course, more complicated magic would need more magic essence.

Unlike monsters, humans can increase their magic essence threshold by doing a sort of cultivation ritual. But it adds additively, not exponentially. So the greatest mages must have been cultivating for years to have their kind of mana and skill and class.

In the end...

That's so unfair! Why do I have to kill to increase my self-defence capabilities!

I was exploring around my old home, the cave.

And like how god sometimes try to kill you by doing it literally or by giving you a heart attack, there was a big fat bear who seems too big and fat to exist somehow came out of nowhere and tried to swipe at me. I happened to hear the rustle of the plants so its claws merely grazed me as I then used both my wings and wind magic to boost myself very quickly to the air, practically teleporting.

In that flurry of my panic and the speed of my takeoff, I managed to give myself a few seconds of dizziness and nausea. Before looking back down to see the same bear charging an earth-spear attack in my direction. I managed to avoid certain death by manipulating some earth too to create a wall in midair. It wasn't enough to stop it fully, but it was strong enough to stop most of the momentum so that the big rock wouldn't reach me.

I was fully expecting another attack, but it just huffed and walked away. My mind had a civil war at this moment.

I think it's too hungry to hunt animals that can run a lot.

Too hungry? Too HUNGRY??! LOOK AT IT! THAT MUCH FAT COULD FEED GODDAMN GODZILLA FOR FUCK SAKE!