Chapter 4: On The Run

In front of Fulimos, a group of 5 adventurers with a few years of experience in tracking monsters. In the arts of extermination, they would only be level with an experienced-class monster. But they are experts in tracking magic and are very attentive. None other than them were in town by the time of this 'crisis'. Automatically, they're the ones that came to the Lord's and King's request. and with high pay and low risk, anyone will come if they could.

They always work as a team, so the teaming experience of this group is just an extra to this mission. Of course, Fulimos is coming with them.

"Adventurers, you might know that this nation has entered a short stage of grief as our nation's princess has died in the hands of two lesser dragons in this region. The king has ordered us knights to exterminate the dragons that committed this deed and any eggs or hatchlings that might terrorize this town in the future. We don't want the same fate to befall any others if we could stop it, right?"

The adventurers nodded, except for one. This adventurer seems to be kicking a rock around, not listening. Fulimos slammed his foot on the ground and the adventurer quickly nodded, "Yes, sir! We don't want the same event to happen again!" The others snickered.

Fulimos gave him a cold glare. "Good. History will always repeat itself, but we can delay that repetition with a little intelligence and some action. That's proof that little things we do can change the world. Or, as Bermudans call, the butterfly effect. Now, let's go, should we?"

The adventurers followed, confused for not knowing what the butterfly effect is.

================================

"My lord, your son is requesting to speak to you."

Hmm, what will this be about? "Alright, bring him in."

Lord Gracius was in his personal room, where he reads through paperwork for this town. The king is still ordering him to quickly kill the dragon that is the hatchling of his daughter's murderers. As a lower noble, he's not allowed to voice out his complaints, but his personal impression of the king is getting lower and lower each time. He's already had his revenge for his daughter. This new lesser dragon is now my problem as it can terrorize this town, but he treats it like a crisis.

Suddenly, a servant from beyond the door told him that his son, Besley, wanted to see him again. He let him in. A 10-year-old skinny boy went into the room.

"What is it this time, Besley?"

"Daddy, is the scary dragon in the forest already gone? It's been three days... I wanna play in the forest again!"

*sigh* "I'm sorry Besley, it's not gone yet. But I promise that tomorrow you can play again."

"But daddyyyyyyyy, I wanna play todayyyyyy."

"But you know that the scary dragon is still in the forest. You don't want to be eaten, do you?"

"No..."

"So you should go play tomorrow when the dragon is gone!"

"Alright..."

"Now, I heard that your teacher might have some new toys for you. You should take them before he gives them to someone else~"

Besley sprinted out of the room in excitement. The servant that announced Besley's coming excused himself into the room to whisper something, "You should be more careful with your son." Gracius raised his eyebrows. The servant continued, "He's very smart and cheeky. That's a dangerous mix."

"What do you mean? He's as innocent as a newborn! Sometimes I wonder if he ever grew at all mentally!"

"My lord, that's what makes him dangerous and rebellious. That's only how he acts around other people. But when he's alone, and I've seen him think he's alone, he's doesn't plan anything malevolent nor anything that has potential to harm anyone, but... I'd advise you to be careful."