Life as we know it

I woke up by loud yelling and banging on the wall. "What the hell do you think? I'm made of money?" Steve yelled.
My eyes met shattered beer bottles laid on the kitchen floor.

"Th-The kids...They ran out of food." Stella responded with a shaken voice.

"I don't give a fuck about those pests." He spat, harshly grabbing Stella up the floor.

"You can go rob from a grocery store if you care about them so fucking much."
He definitely left a bruise on her arm.

She fell on her knees, her entire body shaking as tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Mom?" I said pretending not to have seen what just happened.
She never liked any of us to witness when her and Steve got in a fight, because at the end of the day she would blame herself for letting it happen, so I rather pretend not to know about it.

She quickly got up, whipping the tears form her face and crossed her arms at her back.

"Honey? What are you doing up this late at night?" Her voice still shaken, obviously from trying to hold back her tears.

"I got thirsty." I said trying to avoid the broken glasses that filled the room.

"One of your dads bottles fell from the counter." She tried to say convincingly when she saw my view move towards the littered floor.

"I can help clean it up." I volunteered and she rushed over to the broom, picking it up.

"Don't worry, I can do that." She said softly, trying to get me away from the glass.

"You should go rest. I'll do it." I pleaded seeing that she wasn't in a right condition.

"No! I said I'll do it. Go back to sleep." Her voice now tempered.

I stared at her sudden rage and took a closer look down at the pile of glass that was mostly covered in blood.

"Did he hurt you?" I scanned her body worriedly looking for any cuts. She immediately shut her palm tightly and stared back at me.

I rushed over to her and opened her left palm that was surprisingly filled with a lot of blood.

"I'll get the first aid kit..." I ran over to the corner of the room where the kit was.

"I'm fine Darcy dear.." She said washing her hand in the sink.

"Why did you allow him to do this to you?" Tears filled my eyes, making my vision blurry.

"He didn't...I mistakenly cut myself while picking the glass pieces." She responded,her voice now calm as usual.

"Stop lying to me Stella, I know he did this to you!" I snapped at her, leaving her speechless.

She sat on the couch while I wiped on the large, deep cut right in the middle of her palm.
She whimpered in pain most of the time I patted on it.

Her in tears were the last thing I wanted to see. She was the most gentle and kind hearted person I had known.

But that was the problem, she was too quiet, too meek, making a great prey for my father to feast upon.
She was always his first target. when he looses the lottery or comes home drunk or even when he just has a bad day. He abuses her like she was the cause of all of it.

"Go rest in my room. I'll tidy up everything." I wrapped a bandage on her palm, kissing her forehead before she left quietly.

I picked the broom back up, quickly putting away the glass before anyone else would wake up.