53

The judge walked in, signalling everyone to rise before being granted permission to be seated again.

After a few introductory words, the defence started the hearing with their claims, stating all the facts and providing evidence when needed. Honestly speaking, their claim was quite strong, but all she and Jungkook had to do was perform as they did when they practiced with Jimin.

"Could the prosecution please testify against the defence," the judge speaks out.

Jungkook clears his throat before rising up to give his claim. "Your honor, we're all here to find justice for Song Minho's death. He was only three years old with much life to give and it all ended one day with his father to be blamed. My partner and I conducted various hearings of bystanders with evidence needed to conclude that his father is a stone cold killer." Jungkook finishes off to sit right back down.

Y/N stands up with a very thick document in her hand. "Your Honor, would it be possible for me to hand you this document with all of Mr Song's past convictions?"

The judge nods, "Granted." The court clerk takes the document from her and hands it to the judge, who then flips through it.

"If you read each page carefully, majority of Mr Song's convictions are abuse related. More commonly; domestic and child abuse. I could simply argue with just this document, but it wouldn't be enough to grant his son or his mother justice-"

"May I, your honour?"

Y/N snaps her head to the defence attorney who had just interrupted her. The disbelief on her face was evident and the defence attorney flashed her a forced smile.

"If you look at the dates of those past convictions, they're from over a decade ago."

Jungkook frowns. He stands up along with Y/N with an autopsy report of the boy's body. "Your honor if I may, the reason we presented Mr Song's past history, is for this..."

Jungkook hands the report to the judge, "Here, around his neck, he can be seen with marks from strangulation. Mr Song had a history with that sort in the past. Old methods cannot die out that quickly."

"And along with the autopsy report, we've got an updated CT scan of Mr Song's brain.." Y/N walks over to the projector, placing the scan results under the camera for everyone in the courtroom to see. She points at a very nucleated part of his brain. "The doctors informed us that Mr Song has major problems in the right hand side of his brain, causing his emotions to act out a lot more aggressively than usual."

No word was said by the defence, and so the judge asked the defence to testify.

The court was absolutely silent from the evidence they brought up. Like always, Jungkook and Y/N were a step ahead of the defence.

"We have an alibi stating that Mr Song was not home at the time of the murder-" the defense starts to testify, but Jungkook cuts them right off.

"-We have neighbors with statements contradicting that claim. They all saw the son and the father at the house at the time of the murder. Some even heard the son crying for help because of the abuse he faced in the past week."

A smile creeped up on her lips upon hearing Jungkook completely backfire on the defence. She squeezed his thigh from under the table as a 'good job' kind of gesture.

With nothing more being said by the defence, the judge called for a break. Everyone stood up and began to scatter out of the room, Jungkook and Y/N choosing to stay as did Jimin and Jennie.

Both the defence attorneys left the room in distress, leaving Hoseok alone on their side of the room.

"My God, you guys are good," Jimin breathes out, leaning over the bar again to talk.

"Yeah, no amount of snooping around with the defence will cause us to lose this case," Jungkook says rather loudly for Hoseok to hear. He leans back a bit to look over his shoulder at him, cracking a cocky smile at him.

Hoseok stifles a laugh, "You think I would tell your competition information about you guys? I would never..." Hoseok places a hand over his chest in disbelief.

Jungkook clenches his jaw, but Hoseok pushes him a bit too much. "You guys aren't as secretive as you think you are. The whole firm knows you two are fucking in the workplace," Hoseok smirks.

Y/N's jaw drops in disbelief. She never knew Hoseok was the type to call people out so casually, and quite rudely actually. She could tell Jungkook was fuming next to her, but he had no choice but to control his temper.

"Okay, and what about it?" Jennie asks, loud enough for him to hear. "What's that got to do with you?" Jennie was now getting defensive for the pair. "You should be happy you even got to go out with her," she seethes, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms with a huff.

"And be happy that I was a second choice to have sex with after she had a fight with Jungkook? I think I have the right to have everything to do with this," Hoseok shoots right back and this time, Jungkook responds.

"Careful with how you speak about my girlfriend and my friends. You don't want to lose your job, do you?"

With that, Hoseok doesn't respond.

"You weren't a second choice to fuck, Hoseok," Y/N mumbles, but she was loud enough for him to hear.
Initially, when she went out with Hoseok, it was because she needed comfort and a distraction after her fight with Jungkook. She had no intention of sleeping with him having just confessed to Jungkook that she loved him. "But I'm glad you got the message," she says sarcastically turning her back towards Hoseok.

Jungkook takes one look at the male before turning away as well. There was so much more to say to him, but Y/N dealt with it way better than he would.

"The break is about to be over soon. Do you need anything to drink before we start again?" Jungkook stands up with soft eyes at her.

"No, I'm okay," she sighs, leaning back against her chair.

"I heard dad say that this case may wrap up earlier than we expected."

"I guess that celebratory lunch will be happening a lot sooner than expected," she chuckles, grabbing his hand and giving it a light squeeze.

The sound of the courtroom doors opening filled the room, people piling back in and going back to their seats. Y/N quickly let go of Jungkook's hand, sitting up straight and fixing her dress.

The judge walked in, everyone rising to their feet again before sitting back down once the judge was seated.

"The court is now back in session."

wc: 1161