FOURTY-EIGHT

TWO MONTHS LATER: CONNIE'S POV

"Get off of me already!" I groan and shove Sasha's feet away. "Did you get the mail for this week?"

Sasha gets up and grabs the pile of mail from the kitchen counter. She returns and throws it into my lap.

"Here." She groans. "Pleaseee, just one massage! My feet are killing me." She tries jumping on me but I block her mid air causing her to collapse on the couch. As I search through the letters she falls on top of the remote control causing the channel to change.

Oh my fucking god

This fat bi-

I glance up at the tv that is now showing the news."Sashaaa! Change it back!" I look down at the mail throwing away whatever looks like bills. I stop when I noticed a letter with an all too familiar name.

Y/n?

"Ehh, what was the channel number you were on again?" She starts talking to herself after I don't respond.

I open the letter and begin to read the words displayed over a check taped to the paper.

Hey baldie,

If you're reading this, it means I am no longer in this world with you; but I died without regrets... or at least that's what I'd like to say. Truth is I have a few, but what is life without regrets? That being said, it also means I have completed my life mission. The one that brought us together. There isn't much to say but how grateful I am that I met you and Sasha. Though we were only together for a few years, you both helped me escape from reality for a little while. I enjoyed my time with you though I was not always the best to you guys. I kept my life a secret and that wasn't fair after you proved your loyalty to me. Tell Sasha that I love her for being the best friend I never had. Please take care of each other and accept my offer as a sorry.

Much love, y/n

The check at the end had a total of 10k with my name and another of 10k with Sasha's.

Holy shit...

"Hey! What are you reading that got you all quiet?" Sasha peeks over my shoulder and snatches the letter from my hands. I stare blankly at the floor trying to take in what I just read.

She's gone?

Sasha's face lights up. "From y/n?! Why didn't you tell me she sent a letter?" She begins to read for herself.

So she really did it.

Just like that.

"W-what is this...?" Sasha says softly looking up at me.

I look up at the tv and notice a picture of y/n and that guy she introduced to us on the screen. "Sasha...turn the tv up." I tell her keeping my eye on the screen.

"E-Eh?" She ask with a shaky tone, looking back down at the letter. I grab the control for myself and turn up the volume.

The reporters voice begins to talk. "The serial killer known as Black Angel, has been pronounced dead as of two months ago. The killers body was found with another body besides it who has been identified as Agent Yeager; who was an FBI special agent at the Trost Headquarters. The identity of Black Angel has been released as former FBI special agent, Y/n L/n."

•••

THREE MONTHS LATER: ARMIN'S POV (Present time)

"Good morning Hange." I say walking in to the building with Annie's coffee in my hands.

"Good morning, Arlert." They point at the coffee in my hands. "For me?"

I politely smile and shake my head. "No, sorry."

"No worries. There is a meeting in 15 by the way." They say before they walk off into their office.

I head over to Annie's office and knock before I walk in. "I got your coffee." I say placing it on her desk.

"Thanks" She says before taking a sip from the cup. "You forgot the sugar." She frowns.

I wince when I remember I left it at the counter. "Right... sorry. I'll try to remember next time." I look over her computer screen and glance at the work she's doing. "What's the case you're working on again?"

"Oh, it's not necessarily a case yet but Levi asked me to do some research on this ex-military. She was caught snooping around a base located not to far from here."

I cock a brow looking at her report. "An ex-military? How do you know it was an ex?"

She shrugs. "I don't, it's just an assumption. A bystander said she matched the looks of one so that's what we're going with so far."

I hum in response. "So what's the research on her for?"

She shrugs, again. "Stolen documents?" She says unsure of herself. "They think she stole some documents from the base but again, we aren't sure yet."

It's going to take a while to find that out

"What is the ex's name?" I ask.

She scrolls up and shows me the personnel file on the suspect. "She went by Kami Makiato but we just found out that her actual name is Karina Braun-"

Braun...?

Hange enters the room. "You two will be late for the meeting." They walk off without another word.

I check my watch. "Shoot, we should go. We'll talk about it some other time." Annie nods and follows me into the conference room where everyone is already waiting.

"Thank you for joining us Arlert, Leonhart." Erwin says as we take out seats.

So sarcastic...

"I would like to congratulate you all for completing our long and dreadful Black Angel case." The room starts to applause.

That's cold...

I keep my hands in my lap and I notice Annie's clench at her side. I glance over at Hange and Levi, only to see their jaws clenching at the noise.

Why are they celebrating this?

"Before we completely cut off the case the board is struggling to decide what should be done with the bodies. They are being kept safe but will be thrown out if not claimed. We are being restrained from doing anything to the bodies until the deadline is up." Erwin glances around the room. "Any recommendations?"

"I'll take the bodies." I say standing up in my seat. "I will also host the funer-"

He shakes his head. "That will be unnecessary. You just need to leave the bodies to be disposed of or claim them and dispose them yourself-"

Hange gasp. "Erwin..." A look of disgust forms over their face but they try to hide it.

The air in the room starts growing thick. The tension is practically seeping off everyone's shoulders as Erwin speaks. "Traitors should not be given the opportunity of  receiving respect-"

I become fed up with him and cut him off. "I will take the bodies and host a funeral. With all do respect sir, you do not have to attend but I-"

Levi abruptly stands causing everyone in the room to freeze. "Meeting is over. Return to your tasks." He begins to pack his things but pauses when he notices no one doing the same. "Now."

The people in the room begin to scurry off to their offices. I glance one more time at Erwin before doing the same.

Some type of commander you are.

___________________________________
A/N

The name Karina Braun may confuse some ppl but please just bare with me.