Chapter Twenty: "How Do You Know If You're In Love?"

Start from the beginning

“Hey, Billie. Dinner’s nearly ready, call your brother for me, will you?” she asked gently, directing me to the stairs. I nodded before I ran upstairs and going to my bedroom.

The first thing I saw was my bed and, I blinked just to make sure that Chelsea wasn’t there, sitting up and waiting for me with a bowl of ice in my hand.

“Shit, Billie, what are you thinking?” I mentally slapped myself.

I shrugged the thought from my brain as I changed into my more comfortable shirt and pyjama pants, leaving my bag near my door. I stepped in front of the mirror and began to remove my ever-present eyeliner; mom never would have approved of that while we’re eating dinner.

Before I headed downstairs, I passed by my brother’s room, where I heard a faint sound of what seemed like Iron Maiden from his bedroom door. I knocked on the door loudly, “JORDAN, DINNER!”

“Yeah,” I heard a faint reply and I took that as a cue to go downstairs and head to the kitchen, where mom was wearing her baking mittens, carrying the plate of lasagna to the table.

I moved to the plate cabinet and took out three plates, “is dad coming home early?”

My mom shook her head, “no, honey. He’ll be late as always…”

Jordan threw himself down on one of the dining chairs, earning mom’s glare. I smirked and placed a plate right in front of him.

-

It took us a maximum of thirty minutes to eat and another ten to force Jordan out of his “very comfortable position” on the dining chair.

“C’mon, Jordan, get outta here!” I pouted, pushing his chair.

He stumbled as he stood up, “fine! Fine! Although I don’t see why you want me out…you guys usually tell me to go out and live a life that I don’t want.”

“Well, now we’re telling you to go back to your room,” mom smiled playfully, “you heard Billie; he said it’s quite important and personal.”

And without another word, he walked back upstairs and we waited for his bedroom door to close and listened closely for any other sound besides the constant buzzing of the air conditioner.

“So,” my mom turned to me, “what is so ‘important’ and, ‘personal’?”

I fiddled with my thumbs before answering, “How do you put up with dad’s behaviour? Like, he goes home late and only stays home during the holidays…Do you not feel alone? Don’t you doubt him?”

She smiles gently, “Billie, honey, that isn’t true. I doubt him and, I feel alone, especially if none of you are in the house but I know for a fact that he won’t hurt us because he is not that kind of man.”

I tilted my head, “well, how do you put up with him, then?”

“It’s because I love your dad, Billie.”

Her eyes sparkled as she said those words and I felt my heart jump at the word ‘love.’ I gulped, looking down on the carpet.

“Mom, how do you know if you’re in love?” I asked meekly, avoiding her eyes.

Even if I couldn’t see her face, I was sure she was smiling, “why? Are you in love?”

I shrugged and shook my head, “I don’t know. Maybe…I don’t know.”

“It’s that Chelsea girl, isn’t it?”

My eyes widened as I felt my ears turn hot. I rub at them frantically, staring up at the same green eyes, “H-how did you…?”

She smiled mysteriously, “Mother’s instinct, Billie. I know my sons very well. Now, just nod your head if you feel any of the following when you’re around her, okay?”

My lips curved upwards into a smile, “okay.”

“You laugh a lot,” nod. “You feel compelled to say something,” nod. “You have a desire to keep the conversation going,” nod. “Butterflies in your stomach,” hmmm…nod. “You feel confident around her,” nod. “You love it when she blushes,” nod. “You don’t want to be awkward around her,” nod. “Your heart rate picks up when you’re a bit too close,” nod.

She smirks, “well, oh my, my son’s in love.”

Surprisingly, I wasn’t surprised. My smile grew wider and I felt relief grow within me. I kissed my mom on the cheek before bouncing happily up the stairs, repeatedly thanking my mother.

I'm sorry if I ranted to you guys about Mikey but, my heart hurts...I feel like Alicia right now.

Alright, anyways, the usual jazz: comments, likes, votes, reads, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REACTIONS IN THE LAST CHAPTER, I LOVE YOU <33

See you on...Thursday (because our report cards might be given out tomorrow and my parents might not like my grades...oh well...). 

xo,

T.

P.S. I saw this blog about the Mikey Way cheating whatever (whoo, whoever made that blog gave out so much effort, shucks) and, omg, Bob's (Bryar) tweets are like...wait:

Tweet #1: CHEATER CHEATER pumpkin EATER. HAAAAAAAAA. FUCK YOU, PUSSY. i should have beat your ass on that elevator. is there a middle finger emoji?

(But he deleted that afterwards. The other one's like:)

Tweet #2: hey @mikeyway you can always turn to jesus in times like these. jesus will understand.

OKAY. I'M SORRY, I'LL SHUT UP NOW.