Chapter Four - A Complication

"I've run into a little complication." Aubrey admitted.

They were at a café just around the corner from her place. The coffee wasn't the best but it was all they could afford.

"And what would that be?" Marcy asked, adding sugar to her drink.

"You remember how Warren and me were a thing a while back?" Aubrey waited for Marcy to nod before continuing. "I didn't have money to pay for smack and he offered me an ultimatum - fuck him, or he'll send people after me."

"Shit. What're you gonna do?" Marcy had known it would only be a matter of time before something like that would happen. She wished she knew how to help.

"Fuck him, obviously. I'd rather not be beat up." Aubrey took a sip of her coffee nonchalantly but Marcy could see her hands shaking.

"Are you sure that's what you wanna do?" Marcelline raised her eyebrows wearisomely.

"It's better than having his goons after me," Aubrey squeezed her eyes shut and quickly changed the subject. "Have you called Duff yet?"

"No, I just can't bring myself to do it." Marcy admitted. She braved herself for a lecture.

"Oh come on Marce, it's been a week. Stop being such a wuss. Do you even know how cool it'll be if you guys become friends?"

"I don't think Duff wants to be friends Aub. He just feels sorry for me or something." Marcy rolled her eyes. Of course Aubrey would assume the best of people. Everyone was nice to her.

"He wouldn't talk to you if he didn't like you, Marce. When are you gonna realize that not everyone has bad intentions?"

"When are you gonna realize not everyone has good ones?" Marcy mimicked.

"I already knew that," Aubrey insisted. "When you get off work tonight I'm gonna force you to talk to him and there ain't a thing you can do about it."

Marcy shook her head at Aubrey with a quiet chuckle and checked her watch. "Speaking of work, I'm late."

.

"Could you restock the shelves Marcelline? I'll take over here." Henry asked. He handed Marcy a heavy stack of boxes.

"Sure." Marcy stepped out from behind the counter. She checked the labels on the new merchandise. They were guitar strings and capos.

Marcelline traveled to the back corner of the store and began putting everything away in their places. The door bell chimed when she was about halfway done. Marcy didn't look up, even when she heard someone searching for something on the other side of the shelves.

"Miss?" An all too familiar voice asked. "Do you know where-" They cut themselves off when Marcy straightened up and turned around to fave them.

"Marcelline?" Axl only looked surprised for a moment before a mischievous glint appeared in his eyes. "You work here?"

"Yeah." Marcy could already feel herself beginning to blush. She definitely had not expected to see him. Her hands flew up to smooth her hair down, it was tied up in a messy ponytail. Marcy suddenly felt very self conscious of her tatty work uniform.

Axl reached forward and took the packet of guitar string she was holding from her. "Just what I was looking for." He said after reading the label.

"I didn't know you had a guitar." Marcelline said quietly. She couldn't seem to find her voice. Axl was standing very close.

"I don't. Steven fucked with Slash's guitar and Slash is cold out, so I figured I'd fix it before he wakes up." Axl explained. His deep voice made Marcy melt. He was moving even closer, speaking quieter with each step he took.