19 The First HUG

Part 19 The First Hug

When Arnav came taking bath, he saw Khushi preparing dinner. Arnav also entered the kitchen, making Khushi dumbfounded.

"Why did you get the mortgage loan, giving your bangles as collateral? What's the necessity? You would have told me if you want money... I would have given you..." he asked hesitating and also stammering. That made Khushi more surprised.

"That's ok..." she simply said and started cutting vegetables.

"Oh...actually, I don't know you are lack money... I thought you have enough money... Is it necessary to buy provisions when we already have enough of it?"

Khushi was looking at him adoringly but not showing her emotions on her face,

"You allowed me to be in YOUR house... gave me shelter... that's enough for me. I won't make you feel awkward, breaking the silence of your solitary. As I promised you, I will keep my distance from your personal space. I can manage myself. I will cook for myself. You no need to worry about me. By the way, thank you for everything"

Arnav gulped down. Neither she said something he didn't know nor did she say that to hurt him. She just reminded him what she wrote in the letter. But, that didn't make Arnav happy. He didn't like what she said. He couldn't understand why.

Preparing her dinner, Khushi left the kitchen. Her mind was clouded with Arnav's words. At least, he asked her something. Is not progress? But don't know whether it continues. He is unpredictable.

The next morning

It was a Sunday. Khushi woke up earlier and washed her clothes. Even though there was a washing machine at home she didn't use it. Then she prepared breakfast and had it. Arnav came out of the room and saw her washing her plate. Why did she wake up so earlier when today is Sunday? Arnav thought she would sleep tight. That's what working women like to do on Sundays. Don't know what's there in her mind. After putting his clothes in the washing machine, he started doing his usual routine.

Arnav got confused not seeing Khushi at home. Her room was being locked from outside. Where did she go? That too, without telling him? He was fed up. He had breakfast, thinking about Khushi. Mumbai was new to her. In a very short time, she started getting familiar with the city. She goes to the office alone... got customary with the shops around this area... goes to the pawnshop and gets a mortgage without hesitation. She has enough guts to survive alone. She doesn't need anyone's help to manage her needs. Or... is she making herself to stand-alone, taking his mother's words seriously? Don't know where did she go...

His thoughts got broken by the washing machine's beep sound. Taking his clothes from the machine, he walked to the balcony to put them on the rope to get it dried. He began to clip the clothes with the rope.

That's when something dragged his attention. He saw Khushi in the park... with children. It seems she was solving children's problems. Arnav was right. Khushi went downstairs to buy vegetables. When she came back, she saw children playing in the park. As she needs a little relaxation, she sat on the cement bench and watched them playing. What else other than children's presence gives more relaxation to the mind?

While sitting in the park, she chitchatted with a few girls and boys... asked their names, whereabouts, schools, and classes. Now, there was a fight between two girls about playing in a swing. That's the problem Khushi was solving now.

"First five minutes, pinky will play and the next five minutes for Rinky... ok?" Khushi said.

"Ok... could you tell us the time?" Pinky asked.

"Sure..."

Pinky rushed to the swing and started playing. Rinky sat next to Khushi and waited for her turn. A few more children also sat with them.