City of Love and Light Part 73

On the morning of the first concert - leaving Ciara and Julie to care for the cuties - the couple left early for a visit to the venue and on their return - on Seon-jae's request - Hye-won made her omelette special and everyone enjoyed a chatty, relaxed brunch.  As Seon-jae stirred to leave for a final rehearsal and sound-check, Hye-jae - as pre-arranged - lifted a wrapped parcel that she had been hiding on her lap under the table and handed it, a little shyly, to her dad: 'it's from Seon-won and Mommy too, Daddy - we all picked it out for you yesterday.'

Seon-jae seemed genuinely taken aback and looked to Hye-won, who nodded that he should open it, so he did.  When he saw what was inside, he stopped, stared, then raised his head, tears springing at such a thoughtful gift: 'Hye-jaea, Seon-wona, my love, I...I don't know what to say...but I love it...thank you.'

Seon-won added, after a reminding look from his big sister: 'it's to bring on stage with you, Daddy.  Mommy said, that way, you might feel like you have us there with you and that will help you play even better.'

Seon-jae looked melted by these words and nodded slowly, as he carefully lifted the luxurious, linen handkerchief and, with a laugh at himself, used 1 corner to dab away his tears, which made both kids jump from their seats - as if by prior agreement - and rush to his sides to give him the squeezy hugs he always told them made him feel better, while he looked to his darling over their heads - you know, you always know - I know because I love you.  

A few minutes later, after more squeezy hugs for luck from the kiddies and a wave from Ciara and Julie, he and Hye-won walked to the door of the apartment for a private goodbye.  Their hug was slow and heart-felt and when Seon-jae lifted his head - keeping his arms low around Hye-won's back - she could see the familiar focus in his eyes that she knew always preceded a performance.  She knew that this forward vision was as much a part of his process as his rehearsals or his quiet visualisation of the full score before going on stage and this convinced her that Seon-jae's head was in the right place on this momentous day, as she reassured him gently: 'you are ready for this, my sweet - sindong - genius.  Just relax and be yourself - they will love you.'

'Thank you, my sweet one...and the same goes for you too, ok?'

They both nodded, then Seon-jae's look softened, as his grip tightened: 'and thank you for the gift - I love that you picked it for me with the kids - and it really will feel like I have my beauties with me on stage.  And it's just...perfect to have you and the kids with me.'

He didn't add that that had been the missing ingredient most of the previous summer, as he played his first solo tour of the United States but they could both read between the lines.  She felt a rush of tender love for his sensitive soul: 'I'm delighted you like the gift...and it's always perfect when we are together - on the big occasions -  and all the small ones too.'

His smile was heart-breaking and he folded her in closer to his chest for a last embrace, a laughing groan rumbling through him: 'with you, my gorgeous Goddess, there are no small occasions - this hug, here - it's perfect too,' and she didn't argue.

---