Seoul Vibe Part 35

The next day, the miraculous cloud-break disappeared and the perfect summer sky was exchanged for ominous clouds and swirling winds.  It didn't bother the family in the slightest though, as they made full use of the swimming pool, with the children showing their Daddy all the tricks that they had learned in the Mommy and Me sessions that summer.  Seon-won seemed to have no fear and would jump straight in and dunk his head, though his sister was more cautious. As always, Hye-won gave everything to her lengths, loving the exhilarating feeling of using every muscle to full capacity that swimming gave her.  Seon-jae loved to watch her progress through the water, remembering that summer's day that she had gone cycling into the countryside to an outdoor pool with her new Irish friend.  As Hye-won's right and left arms swung over her head in rhythmical loops, he recalled how excited she had been in the evening after that first day with Ciara, contributing to the What is Art? conversation in the artists' studio, so eloquently. So brave, she has always been willing to try new things. Maybe that's why she tried me. That thought struck him as profound and funny in equal parts and it continued to spin around in his head, as he watched his strong woman cleave through the waters.

---

When the kiddies were asleep that night, the couple were lying in comfy relaxation in bed together and Seon-jae's mind turned back to that thought

'Love?'

She didn't rise her head from the book she was reading but answered him: 'yes?'

'You have become such a strong swimmer now.'

That did intrigue her and she looked up: 'do you think so?'

'Yes, very much so, I was watching you today and you are...awesome.'

She grinned and reached to touch his face: 'well, thank you, sweetheart, but you have to admit that you are...biased.'

He smiled but was undeterred: 'I also want to tell you that you are the bravest person I ever met.  I was thinking today that, without that fiercely brave streak, you might not have taken the chance on me that you did, so I love that side of you.'

She looked with surprise at that and laid her hand on his chest, always getting such comfort from the strength she felt there: 'thank you, love, that's a lovely thing to say but where did that come from?'

He told her a little of his thoughts from earlier - how much he admired how she had embraced her new life in Germany, living with and loving him, of course, but also reaching out to Ciara so early on - just knowing that they were spirit friends - both a bit crazy but with a true and heartfelt connection.

'And at your mother's funeral service, when you knew that people were curious about you, you just kept your best side out and were so...I really think it's most suitable word...awesome.'

They both laughed quietly, keeping the chuckles muted so as not to disturb the babies - as they still often called them, though not in their ear-shot, as the babies would both have been highly indignant to be referred to as such.