Bittersweet Memory Part 55

We stand opposite each other.  I hold her hand and search her face for clues of what she is thinking but she looks behind me...checking the room, maybe?  She looks as stunning as always - this black, lace top is really sexy and I love her hair tied back so simply like that - but her eyes seem sad.  I feel the pain of that like a knot in my belly.  I squeeze her hand tighter but we still don't move closer.  She keeps looking away but she does finally speak.

Thank you for ringing me, Seon-jaea...and thank you...she gestures behind me...for all this.

Thank you for coming.

Her eyes meet mine briefly, then flit away again and her voice is so quiet, it's as though she is...what...shy?  Surely not.  I feel so regretful for my outburst now.

I shouldn't have left like that.  I just got...

She nods and I don't finish the sentence.  We don't speak for a moment.  She looks at the room and gives a nervous laugh.

It's not what I was expecting...not like that other hotel.

I suddenly understand her.  Last time, she said she wanted to sleep, so I booked that awful, little place and she drove away...in fright, I suppose.  And she is remembering that now and feels...sorry, maybe.  But also afraid now too.  I have to break through to her, to convince her again.  I step closer, so that she can't look away and has to meet my eyes.

It's not like that hotel. It's...normal, clean.

I can see that - thank you.

And this is not like that time.  We are...different, closer.

I know that too.

She pauses and looks down at our still-clasped hands.

It's just...

What...what is it?

I place my hand under her chin and lift it just a fraction, so I can see her eyes.  This close, I can definitely see signs that she has cried more since we were together...what, maybe an hour ago...and I realise that I am holding her here and scrutinising her and she is not able for any of this right now.  I realise that all I feel now is warmth towards her and I can't help smiling at her and it seems to bring an instant change in her, her own gorgeous smile reaching into my chest and squeezing my heart.

Well, you have a start on me with the drinking, so how about letting me catch up?

---

So Goryangju - Kaoliang was it?  Feel like some more?

I lead her by the hand to the small couch in the corner of the room with drinks and snacks on the coffee table, ready and waiting.  She looks...and looks...and for a moment, I think she is annoyed again but then she lifts her face and turns to look back to me and I see pooling tears in her eyes.