City of Love and Light Part 64

Leaving the massing throngs behind, the group wandered the short step to the site of the oldest and most famous food market in the city - Rue Montorgueil.  First stop was the essential - glace - ice-cream - after which the group wandered in licking leisure, gazing in amazement at the staggering array of restaurants, cafes and shops, selling everything from freshly-sourced seafood to newly-baked bread, amassed spices, exotic fruits and plump vegetables, the air replete with the most enticing scents wafting from so many doors. 

Hye-won mused aloud: 'I see now why Monet drew his famous painting of this street, festooned with so many - drapeaux tricolores - French flags - this really is an Epicurean wonderland,' and seeing Seon-jae's questioning look - as he made short work of his banana-flavoured confection - she grinned and leaned a little closer: 'an epicure, my love, was orginally a follower of Epicurus, who in ancient Greek times, advocated that pleasure was the only true pursuit in life.'

He nodded that he understood, while still sunk deep in the pleasures of his delicious - glace - ice-cream -  and Hye-won couldn't resist pointing out the obvious to him, sotto voce: 'so, epicureans live their lives in pursuit of happiness, especially revelling in sensuous pleasures, such as eating delicious things with great relish.'

With a knowing look, she brought her vanilla cone tantalisingly close to Seon-jae's lips and his gleaming eyes told her that he knew perfectly well what she was trying to inflict upon him and that 2 could play that game.  He also offered his cone to her - tongue peeping - and in almost slow-motion, both leaned, licked, loved, and the teasing fun of the moment was the most delicious of all.

---

Progressing further down the pedestrian street, the strolling family realised that among the hustle and clamour of this very fashionable street were threaded the cries of the merchants, some of whom quaintly stood at the open doors of their stores...

Progressing further down the pedestrian street, the strolling family realised that among the hustle and clamour of this very fashionable street were threaded the cries of the merchants, some of whom quaintly stood at the open doors of their stores and proclaimed their wares in sing-song voices, aping their long-departed forebears.  This gave the cuties a great laugh, as they would stop and study each one, while Ciara and Julie made a game of trying to guess from the manner of the catch-call what items were being sold.  They made their wending way along the busy street until they arrived at a frescoed shop-front, described in their travel guide as the oldest and most revered patisserie in Paris, with a history as rich as its desserts.  The window-display of perfectly uniform and dainty delectations was a feast for the eyes but it was inside the store - also highly decorated with frescoes - that the real star was displayed.

Ciara read aloud from her phone - 

In 1725, a Polish princess travelled to Paris to become Queen and brought her favourite - patissier - pastry-maker - with her.  During the long journey, he soaked sweet brioche bread in rum and added whipped cream and so was invented the world-famous - baba au rhum - rum cake. 

She lifted her head, with a huge grin: 'and it's often served with a measure of rum, by all accounts - sounds delightful.'  

She turned to Julie: 'we have to try this,' and Julie nodded vigorously, as the couple moved to the counter to choose their purchases.  Hye-won and Seon-jae crouched down with the kids, whose eyes were large as pizzas, as they gazed - nose to glass - at the tiny delicacies in a rainbow of colours.  As Seon-won and Seon-jae chatted to the left, Hye-jae turned to her mom, crouched close beside her: 'Mommy, did you hear?  A real Polish princess!  And she became the Queen of Paris.'