New Lives Part 1

Red, rear bumper-lights blinked on and off as drivers accelerated and braked repeatedly in the stop-start, commuter traffic from Long Island into central Manhattan in New York.  Long, winding trails of barely-moving cars stretched in front and behind of Hye-won's mid-size family car, which seemed far smaller than almost every other vehicle she could see.  Perhaps in recognition of the commuting stress so many New Yorkers experienced daily, the classical music station on the car radio played soothing pieces - a bassoon concerto by Beethoven, several piano nocturnes by Chopin, some liltingly-beautiful soprano arias from operas by Mozart and Puccini  - but unusually for her, Hye-won only gave the barest interest to the gorgeous music.  She had developed a defence mechanism against the stress of driving in heavy traffic that she found helped her so much.  Though aware of the traffic and reacting as needed, she imagined herself back on the pre-dawn beach where she began her day - with a group of women performing beach yoga - some known by name and friendly to her, others dropping in for the first time, but all in search of the same peace that stemmed from occupying their bodies in healthy stretches and balances, while stilling their minds in breathing and focus.  As the yoga teacher calmly spoke the directions: 'palms flat on the mat in front of you, ease your body back into a straight plank...feel your strength and breathe as you hold...now step to the front of your mat and stretch your arms high to the sky above you,' Hye-won could feel each pose stretching different parts of her body and building her strength and flexibility.  She felt the energy pulse within her and her mind free itself of its tensions.  

The 45-minute session always seemed too short but then the meditation to music - the so-called sound-bath - took over for the last 15 minutes and this was equally rewarding.  To the succeeding sounds of a selection of instruments - gongs, chimes, rattles - Hye-won and the other women lay on their backs and let the waves of sounds lull them into a relaxed state of well-being.  As the peeping sun sent golden streaks of light over the bay, the pippets of the rousing birds joined with the rolling tones of the sound-bath and the lapping waves to welcome the returning day, as the women were bathed in a beautiful wash of light and sound.  It was always at this moment that Hye-won felt the cumulative benefits of the physical exertion followed by the musical meditation - a sense of inner release, a broadened awareness of her physical being and her inner self.  She relished every detail - the swish of the stems and fronds of the sedge grasses growing along the edges of the bay, the gentle brush of the summer breeze across her face and neck, the murmur of the bay waters, the shifting light as the sun rose inexorably higher - her senses relishing every input.  Her soul felt lighter somehow, more in tune with the natural world around her and content with her place in that world.  She felt the calm seep deep into her tummy and, not for the first time, she gave thanks for the sense of health and well-being that surged through her now, so unlike the self that she had accepted when - in what seemed like another life-time - she had always felt over-worked and stressed, unable to sleep, or eat, or relax.  

The session ended with the communal thanks of everyone joining their hands at their hearts and saying namaste - I bow to you.  The mood of calm stillness broke with little comments and laughs among the women and the female teacher - whose sinuous flexibility and strong spirituality Hye-won found both astounding and inspiring - while mats were rolled, drinks taken and thoughts began to shift to the day that lay ahead.  Hye-won always took a few minutes to chat with those women with whom she was becoming more friendly as the weeks progressed, some of whom - like her - were carving out this early morning space in their day for themselves - but soon, everyone said their farewells, as they moved away with purpose.  Now negotiating the heavy traffic for downtown, imagining herself once again resting her body and spirit in the warming, morning sunlight, she felt somehow insulated from stress.  It's like I have a protective barrier - and that's such a gift.