Seoul Vibe Part 31

Time seemed to stop.  Seon-jae saw Hye-won's ex-husband at the same time that he saw Hye-won - gave a visible jolt - then turned his head to speak to his mother.  His mother paid her respects to every member of the family, while pointedly excluding Hye-won from her bows and Kang did the same.  Seon-jae could feel his blood pump harder into his neck and his pulse race with rage, that such disrespect should be shown to his love, especially on such a day as this.  He shifted in his seat to move towards her but Ji-soo gently put her hand on his arm and when he glanced to her, she just lightly inclined her head in Hye-won's direction.  He knew what she was indicating - that Hye-won was fine, that she would rise above this as she had done so many times in the past and that he should trust his love - and he knew that she was right but still it was so hard to remain on the side-lines and watch as this woman - who held his heart in the palm of her hand - was served such abominable treatment.  He carefully watched her outwardly calm expression, trying to gauge whether she was feeling the effects as little as her mien portrayed but from this distance, it was hard to be sure.  He was just about to give in to his anxiety and stand to walk to her when he saw Kang beckon Hye-won summarily towards the door.  She calmly turned to her aunt and spoke a few, quiet words to her and then she looked directly into Seon-jae's eyes - this is ok, this is fine.  She didn't wait for a response and followed Kang out of the room and out of sight.

---

Seon-jae looked to the 2 children who were giggling with the older children and sipping their drinks happily and then gave a look to Ji-soo, which told her that he was just going to check and return immediately

'Go and check - I'll watch the babies - but remember, Seon-jae,' and she put her hand on his arm again and he looked to her, 'the last thing Hye-won would want is a scene.'

He nodded, knowing that she was completely correct she hates that kind of fuss but also determined in his decision to check that she was ok.  After all, he has a long history of treating her badly.  He walked to the door to the corridor and from there, he could see the 2, Hye-won with her back to him, her head slightly dipped, as though she were looking at her shoes, and Kang - obviously annoyed - using big hand gestures and with a face full of anger.  Seon-jae couldn't hear any of what was being said but he could well imagine the content of it.  

It was clear that Kang was getting no satisfaction from Hye-won though, as he spat something clearly derogatory in her direction, before stomping off down the corridor.  Seon-jae watched Hye-won view his retreat for a moment before he turned and walked back towards his friends.

Ji-soo looked nervous: 'everything ok?'

'He was being his usual, obnoxious self but she seemed fine.'

In-seo's tone was soothing: 'she has always known that his bark is worse than his bite.'

Seon-jae nodded, watching the door for the re-entrance of Hye-won.  When she re-appeared - a few moments later - she smiled over to him, her eyes trying to reassure him that she was unharmed but there was a tiredness in her aspect and a droop in her shoulders that hadn't been there before and Seon-jae's heart pained to see it.  He smiled gently to her and she returned to join her aunt, a few words passing between them but something in Seon-jae hardened and with a quick look to the children and a smile to Ji-soo to keep an eye to them, he walked casually to the door and down the corridor in the direction that Kang had walked.