Bay Days Part 11

The rhythm and routine of the next days flowed steadily, Hye-won's attentions equally divided between the moment-to-moment minutiae of the children's lives and the more long-term demands of her work, in particular, the on-going preparations for the launch of the exhibition.  Through it all, Ciara played a blinder, somehow managing to make time to play with the children, cook a little and bake a lot, enjoy their weekly swimming sessions and even give informal, singing lessons to Seon-won that both seemed to enjoy as much as each other - his natural bubbliness and caring nature matching hers so well.  It hardly seemed possible that she could also teach class, give vocal lessons and even perform from time to time but she had infinite energy and positive focus and could achieve in a day what others would be happy to achieve in a week.  Hye-won often told her friend how much she valued and appreciated her but the Irish girl always laughed it off, with a self-deprecating it keeps me off the street corners answer.

One evening, the 2 were enjoying a relaxing cup of herbal tea in the summer-scented shade under a spreading cedar tree, while the children played in the frog-shaped sand-pit which was their favourite place in the garden.  As the 2 drove cars and diggers up and down collapsing hillocks and ravines, they chattered easily and sang tunes from an animated film they had watched - a musical about singing cars - with Seon-won, in particular, showing lots of vocal talent.  

'Oh, it's lovely this evening - it's so good to feel that intense heat seeping out of the day now.'

Ciara nodded, putting her head back - eyes closed - and for a few moments, the kiddies' spoken and sung over-and-back patter was as soothing and natural to their ears, as the buzzing of the summer pollinators in the flowering shrubs around them.

'Everything getting set for the big opening?'

Hye-won considered honestly for a moment before answering, with a little chuckle.

'Well, unless the wheels come off in the last week, yes.'

She enjoyed the view of the blooming hydrangea across from her, as she took another soothing sip of her tea, loving the scent of the summer berries that wafted upwards.  She gave a little laugh, which drew an opening of the eyes and a questioning look from Ciara.

'Ah, it's nothing...just you know how I love multiple meanings and connections.'

Her friend nodded, smilingly, her eyes showing her admiration of the intelligent energy sparkling in her friend's pretty, brown eyes. 

'Well, it's just that, as I was savouring the taste of the tea, I was enjoying the view of the flowering hydrangea there and then it struck me - guess what that variety is called?'

Ciara looked from Hye-won to the plant and back again, none the wiser.

'Tea of heaven.'

Both women huffed and sipped in quiet enjoyment.

---