West Coast Wonders Part 49

Standing at the top of the Hamon Tower in the de Young Museum, the couple took time to enjoy the 360 degree views over the Golden Gate Park and across the bay, finding it hard to believe that they were still in the heart of the city.  They had loved the exhibitions of American art, including textiles from across the Americas through the ages.  They had spent time in the Osher Sculpture Garden - smaller in scale than New Orleans and more quirky than the one recently installed by Hye-won in Sagamore Hill - but no less interesting for that - and they had both loved the giant, red, ceramic apples set in the grass, which Hye-won giggled made her feel like Alice in Wonderland.  When their legs wouldn't carry them any more, they had a long, relaxed lunch sitting outdoors and then a stroll through the park, enjoying the breeze and the open space.  

It was mid-afternoon by the time they were back in the hotel and soon Seon-jae was leaving for his sound-check, but not before he brought his love into his arms and rested his head against hers, in a long embrace where both closed their eyes to feel the pulse and breath of the other.  When he spoke, his voice was a murmur by her ear: 'sweetheart, it's been just 24 hours since we have been reunited and I hate to leave you, even though it's just for a few hours.'

She rubbed his back, as she inhaled that musky scent she loved so much: 'sweetheart, I know, I feel very reluctant to let you go too.'  

She pulled back her head, as a memory flashed into her mind: 'love, I'm just remembering the first day very early in Freiburg when I was going off alone to explore the town while you were in class.'

He smiled: 'and I hugged you just like now, not wanting you to go then either.'

They both gave a little laugh: 'and it all worked out that day, didn't it?'

'Hmm, I suppose it did.  But really, are you sure you will be ok?'

She was about to reassure him casually but a closer look told her this was about more than leaving their hotel room for a few hours.  His face showed anxiety, tension, nerves.  She took his hand and brought him to sit on the bed and turned to face him: 'sweetheart, do you feel very nervous about tonight?'

He also was about to reassure her but he knew that honesty had always been what worked best for them and he smiled ruefully: 'yes, I suppose I am.'

'More than on other nights?'

He thought about that: 'well, before a concert, I am always...thoughtful might be the best word but tonight...,' he paused and she waited, her eyes on his: 'tonight means so much to me.'

'Why, love?  I mean I can guess why but maybe if you speak about it, it might make it easier to understand.' And control.

He smiled and lifted her hand, placing it between both of his: 'my sweet Hye-wona, you have such a kind nature.  You always know just what to say to make me feel better.'

She smiled and waited.

'Well, I'll be honest, part of my nerves is the new piece - it's so incredible...truly a revelation...I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of it.  Every time I play it, I hear something different in it.  But because I feel so much for it, I really want to...do it justice, I suppose.'

She nodded, understanding completely.

'But it's more than that.  I've imagined this night for so long...the end of the tour, you here with me, this new piece - and now that it's finally arrived...,'

He paused and this time, Hye-won prompted him gently: 'you are afraid that it will all go wrong.'

He smiled gratefully: 'yes, exactly...I'm worried that I will be the reason that the whole perfect night is a disaster.'