Chapter 35: So Maybe You're A Gremlin

The lights on the porch barely illuminated you as you rung the doorbell with your clawed hand

You heard a few shouts from inside, and then footsteps walking up to the door.

The door was thrown open, and slammed it shut just as fast as it had been opened.

It then creaked open slowly, revealing Eli's small frame.

He began to speak slowly, enunciating his words as if speaking to someone who had never heard English before.

"I", he said, gesturing to himself.

"Friend To."

He gestured towards you.

"Creepers"

"Please no"

He pantomimed an eating motion.

"Eat."

You had to stifle your laughter.

"Don't worry, you wouldn't be much of a meal anyways, Eli. Too stringy and barely any meat on you."

He took a step back.

"Y/n!?"

You flicked your tangled (h/c) hair back with a grin. 

"The one and only."

His jaw dropped.

"How did- What- When- Where-"

"I know, I know, I look like a purple goblin, I'm aware."

-

The two of you sat in Eli's room, as you told him everything.

Well, mostly everything.

You might have left out the part with the aliens.

And your- The Colonel.

And Jim's secrets.

And.. 

And a lot of stuff, okay?

You left out a lot of stuff.

Eli stared at you, wide-eyed.

"Woah. That's crazy.. like the season finale of Earth Invaders crazy."

You chuckled. 

"Yeah, it kind of is. I'm sorry for not.. telling you sooner."

He looked like he was about to say something and then thought better of it.

"So I've been bestfriends with a changeling this entire time, huh?"

"Yeah, I suppose so. Not that I can really.. 'change' per se."

"You're stuck?", the bespectacled boy questioned.

"Pretty much."

Eli jumped up and started his computer.

"I'll find a way to get you un-stuck."

-

"I am not drinking that."

You held the plastic cup at arm's length as the contents slopped around inside.

"C'mon (Y/n), it's like every cure for every curse in one."

"Eli, it smells like fermented gym socks.", you cringe, covering your nose with your other arm.

"That would probably be the garlic."

"Garlic? The only place garlic should be is on garlic bread!"

"This is like.. liquid garlic bread."

"Liquid farts, more like. What did you even put in here?"

"..."

"What did you put in this?"

"Uhh.."

You set it down on the counter.

"Okay, nope. Not happening.", you frowned. "I'm going to get some air."

-

How had you lived without wings? It was such a pure freedom, being up above the world. 

It made all your problems seem so much smaller, and so distant.

Little people ran around on the streets, little cars drove along the roads and tiny lights blinked on and off in the tiny homes.

You closed your eyes and let yourself be carried by the warm summer air currents, tilting your wings every so often to stabilize yourself.

It was so peaceful.

That was, until you opened your eyes and nearly dropped straight out of the sky when you noticed the thing barely an arm's length from you.

It was gliding along with you, it's pterodactyl-like wings spread, scraggly mane fluttering in the wind.

The thing had a long hooked beak, and long, sharp claws. 

In any other circumstance, this thing would have been terrifying, but up here?

Up here, just above the clouds, away from the rest of the world, it's presence was comforting.

You closed your eyes, and stayed in silence.

By the time you'd opened them again, it was gone.

-

So here you were, living in Eli's attic like a gremlin. He'd snuck some blankets up there, and it was kind of cozy, you never really spent much time in there though.

You were either out flying, or talking to Eli when his mom was out of the house.

At least this was an excuse to avoid school.

Not that anyone would really care about your appearance after what happened, but still.

You didn't need any extra stress.

What with.. everything going on.

You were constantly feeling the urge to release your anger, no matter how happy the scenario.

It drove you crazy, the urge to just destroy everything around you.

How did anyone control this? It's not like there was anyone you could talk to about it.

Restless, you clambered out onto the rooftop, laid down and looked up into the starry night sky for a while. 

Your eyelids began to grow heavy.

And you drifted off to sleep.

---

Hey everyone! Thank you for reading this chapter!

How are you guys doing?

bye!

remember to hydrate!

-Rio