Chapter 12: Confrontations, Apologies, Hand Holding, and a lot of Blushing.

"(Y/n)? What are you doing here?"

The two boys looked at you with varying looks of shock, surprise, fear, and even a bit of anger.

"Hmm. Let's see."

You growled out.

"Both of you have been ignoring me, it's almost like I don't exist to you guys anymore. What the hell happened? We used to be best friends!"

Jim starts to protest, and you shush him.

"I'm not done. Don't think I haven't noticed your constant absences, your bruises, your tiredness, and you only talk to Claire and Tobes- can I even call him Tobes anymore? Are we even friends?"

Toby looks slightly saddened by this, but you're too far in to stop now. 

"I know you guys are hiding something. I heard you and whatever that was  fighting last Sunday, I saw the claw marks, the busted lockers!"

"How did the skinniest, weakest, wussiest kid in our grade other than Eli suddenly get a six pack, and brave enough to face Steve Palchuk, when before, he would just lower his head and look away?"

"Why do you not trust me with whatever the heck you're hiding? I thought we were friends? We've been best friends since before- "

You take a  shaky breath in.

"Since before the crash, and you promised me we would never leave each other!"

Tears spring to the corners of your eyes, and you push them back down. You can't cry.

"I promised. We promised we'd always tell each other everything."

You cross your arms, and look at your 'friends'.

"Did that mean nothing to you?"

Jim reaches out towards you, but you push him away, tears still threatening to break through.

"Listen, (Y/n)-"

The office door suddenly bangs open, and Toby dives out the window, holding something.

Jim dashes to stand in front of the now open door, tugging you along with him.

A livid looking Uhl stands in front of you.

"What are you two doing in my office?"

"Señor Uhl!"

"Uh, I mean, Interim Principal Señor Uhl."

What is he doing? He's just going to make him more mad.

"It's so hard to keep track.
I'm just, uh..."

The boy looks around, trying to find an excuse.

"Looking for..."

He spots a poster, something about not being afraid to come to the principal
for-

"... guidance?"

"Oh!"

The Spanish teacher smiles that fake smile that adults put on when they're planning something.

"Well, I'm glad you came to see me."

"I'm worried about your attendance."

See? You did have a point!

"You've missed 43 days."

You flash an 'I told you so' look at Jim, but he's too focused on talking his way out of failing ninth grade.

"But there is one thing."

Uhl pauses slightly.

"We have two new students who are not from these parts."

Is he talking about Aja and Krel?

"They're having some difficulty fitting in."

No kidding, you almost chuckle, remembering the argument you heard in the hallway before class.

"They are a little weird."

                                                         ........................................................................

What a great way to spend an afternoon.

Being dragged around town with your former best friends and the kid who told you that you were hallucinating after you'd saved his butt from an alien.

Uhl had forced you to accompany Jim, on penalty of detention every day for the rest of the year.

Ugh.

Aja runs up behind you. The blonde taps your shoulder slightly, and nods her head towards Krel, who is kicking a pebble around dejectedly.

"My little brother wanted to talk to you."

You sigh, shrugging.

"Sure, why not."

You walk over to the boy.

"Aja said you wanted to talk to me?"

He looks up, and takes a deep breath in, before responding.

"Listen, I am sorry for... uhh.... everything? I didn't mean to make you angry, and I apologize for acting like you didn't save my lower posterior from that... thing... in the woods."

You look at him, and at his slightly flushed face.

"Hey. It's okay."

He grins widely.

"Really? It's okay?"

You laugh.

"Yeah."

The boy subconsciously grabs your hand, and smiles at you.

You blush slightly, surprised at the warmth of his hand holding yours.

"Uhh... we should... catch up to the others...?"

He startles, and looks down at your linked hands.

He flushes deeply and drops your hands, looking away.

"Uhh.. yeah..."

You both walk back to the group, Krel still bushing with a huge smile on his face, and you staring down at your hand.

Did this boy just-

                                                                          ..............................................

Thank you so much for reading~

Comment if you enjoyed!

Love you all, my wonderful readers.

~Rio