Chapter 6: Billycraggle

Why were you lost in the forest, in the middle of the night, hunting an imaginary monster with  Eli and Krel?

You honestly didn't know.

But you were.

                  ..................................................................................................

"Hey! Uh, (Y/n)!"

You turn towards the voice, and see Eli standing by his locker, waving.

Walking over, you come to a stop beside the small boy, and tilt your head inquisitively.

"Yeah, did you need something?"

He stumbles a little bit on his words, but picks himself up, and shows you a map on his phone.

It's of the woods just outside of town.

"Tonight is the night that the dog star is at its brightest, for the first time in 100 years."

Oh no. You know where this is going.

Eli starts to get visibly excited, waving his hands around.

"And according to myth, legend, and the internet, that's when the Billycraggle is out on the hunt!"

You stare at him for a second.

"Why do you want me to come?"

Eli looks at you strangely.

"Um... because you're my friend?"

You cross your arms, looking at the skinny boy.

"That's not the only reason, is it?"

He laughs slightly nervously and scratches the back of his neck.

"Well, heh, Krel's coming, and we're both..."

The boy pauses.

"Physically incapable? Athletically challenged?"

"Yes, all of those things."

You shake your head at the shorter boy.

"So you want me to be there to defend your scrawny butts?"

Eli laughs.

"Pretty much."

"Fine, but I have a question. If I can only save one of you from being eaten, which one do I save?"

He stares off into space, clearly deep in thought. You reach out, mussing up his hair.

"It was theoretical, short stuff. I'll keep both you dweebs safe from the monstrous Billycraggle!"

You walk away, imitating yourself slaying the monster, then blowing kisses at the imaginary audience and bowing.

You hear Eli laugh and yell to meet him and Krel at the edge of the woods at seven.

                                                 ......................................................................

Krel is grumbling something about not liking nature, Eli's jumping at every sound, and you were wielding a baseball bat which you are supposed to defend them with.

Needless to say, you were enjoying yourselves.

Krel let out a low groan.

"We're lost, aren't we."

Eli looks up from his phone, his face illuminated by the light.

"We aren't!"

"Are too."

"Are not."

"ARE TOO-"

"shh!"

You whisper as you hear a rustling in the bushes ahead of you. It sounds big. It sounds like it's here to kill you all. 

You creep slowly towards the bush, your footfalls silenced by the soft forest floor.

And then it rises out of the bush.

It wears a spiked metal mask, its malevolent yellow eyes gleaming back at you.

The creature has a long, turquoise tail and and blue armour covering.

You grip your bat, ready to defend your friend(s?).

It growls slightly and Eli backs away.                    

The thing looks as if it is about to pounce and tear him to shreds, but then its gaze falls on you, and the boy behind you. You retain your defensive stance, not letting it see any weakness.

A low, raspy chuckle escapes from behind the creature's mask, and your skin breaks into goosebumps. 

Krel whispers something in fear.

"Zeron Omega"

The thing laughs again, louder this time, and starts circling you and Krel.

Eli moves slightly, and the creature sends him flying down the hill with a flick of their tail.

You can't focus on Eli, you have to keep yourself calm, and ready to block a hit at any moment.

The creature draws closer and closer, until it stops, standing directly before you. 

"You seem smart for a human. Give me the princeling, and I will give you a quick death."

You laugh, and to be honest, you have no idea where you got the courage to.

"You really don't know how to bargain, do you."

You tilt your head slightly.

"Come at me, lizard lady."

                                              ........................................................................

Oooh cliffhanger~

Don't hate me

~Rio