Chapter 6- Blaise

She had sweet light brown eyes that had a youthful glow and a slightly sun-kissed complexion. Her long black hair was waist-length and she was just reaching my height. She had this kind smile and definitely emitted this soft and kind energy. She wore a pink chunky cable knit sweater over a pale pink T-shirt. She had black converse on and a pair of shorts on that ended just before they touched her knees. Her hair was clipped to the sides with white hair clips and the rest hung elegantly behind her. " Is this a good time?" She asked politely. I nodded " Yeah May, is everything alright?" She slightly bowed her head to me and held out a beautifully tied up bag that had a bento in it. " Please accept this." She whispered. I blushed softly. This felt almost like... Like something different entirely. " Thank you for the bento. I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay?" She nodded and gently smiled as she left.

 My uncle Daniel was in the kitchen and my mom and dad were with Adelyn right now. I ran upstairs and sat on my bed, closing the door. As I felt the fabric that the bento was tied in, I could feel a card. I undid the peach pink bag and looked on at the note in wonder. It was in a gingham blue envelope and in script my name was delicately scrawled on the front of it. On the back, there was a bubblegum pink wax seal that had a cute honeybee in the center. I gently pried open the envelope and pulled out the neatly folded note.

" Blaise,

This will have been my 7th attempt at this letter. Hopefully after all these tries, I'm able to make you understand how I feel. We're seniors and are supposed to know what we want to do in life and where we want to eventually end up for college. As the top student, I don't know at all."

I would've thought she had a few schools in mind, I was quite surprised at that.

" And there are a lot of things I don't know. The only thing for a while that I've been sure of is my love for you, Blaise. Everything around me has always stayed the same for the most part and when I met you, my dull world of books, studies and diligent focus shook to the very core. I closed my eyes once and found myself whispering your name into the cold wind of night after wishing on a star for something different. For a long time I've stayed silent and I've been lenient, I've been complacent about not just how I felt about my love for girls, but my love for you when we met. But now is the time for me to be real with you and myself. And the things I've felt for you, in my eyes, are very real. I don't want to be the one if I'm not your one, Blaise."

I didn't realize that I had been holding my breathe while reading. I let out a harsh breath and made sure my breathing was right.

" Please accept my feelings for you. Or don't. That's okay! I'll still love you and I'll always be cheering you on from the sidelines. Even so, if you don't accept my love, please accept me as a friend. I care for you a lot. Even when I had no reason to think of anything, I always wondered how you were feeling some days. And if neither is your answer, at least enjoy the bento I made you.

To truth and honesty,

May Chung 

My heart was beating so quickly. Her love letter was something else entirely. I noticed something else in the envelope. Not a strip of paper, but card it felt like. I took it out. It was one of those Spotify stickers that had links to playlists! The second strip had her number on it. I put it in my phone and sighed deeply. I scanned the sticker and I put it on the back of my phone. "Love & It's Warmth " was the name of the playlist. I slipped in my airpods and listened to the playlist. I needed to take a walk.

Wait. I was forgetting something basic. Very, Very basic. She was currently in a relationship. That was... A bit strange, but I'd talk to her about it. I needed my facts before I succumbed to her sweet words and good cooking.

Just before I left, my uncle called out " Be safe, okay?"

" Thanks! I'll be back soon."

.
.
.
.
.

I came back inside and ran to my room. The note remained and everything was intact. The bento was gone, however. And so was my clothes basket. My uncle must've seen the note while getting my clothes. I should've locked it away. I slipped the note and envelope in a locked drawer under my desk. I walked to the kitchen and I knew my bento was on the warmer. I took it apart and was wowed. The attention to detail and her cooking were both amazing. There was barbecued braised beef with rice and fried broccoli. There was also some mini macarons, little tarts with a light green cream in the center. There was also a slice of what looked like a loaf cake that was glazed and had some crumble on it. The last bento had some nuggets and crisp potato wedges. I tried the green tart out of curiosity... Sweet avocado? I didn't think that sweetened avocado would've won me over but it tasted great! I ate the rest of the bento and was stuffed. It was absolutely delicious and it was insane that she made all of that herself.

I dialed her number  "Hey, are you free Friday evening?"

" Yeah"

" I'm picking you up at 6, is that okay?"

Her voice was quivering almost, not scared but I could hear a tremor in the way she spoke " No yeah, that's okay! "

" Calm down okay? Your letter was so sweet! And thank you for the bento, May, your skills are amazing!

" Oh I'm glad you enjoyed it! "

" Listen." I could feel her almost hold her breath over the phone.

" I'm glad that you told me how you felt. And it makes me happy that you care for me and keep me in your thoughts. But I want us to be friends first. You've fallen in love with me... so give me the chance to fall in love with who you are too, May."

I heard nothing but silence. " May, are you okay?" 

" Yeah-" Her voice broke and I knew she was crying.

" Do you want me to come over?"

" Yeah, you can come over. I'll text you the address."