Chapter 17

" Bella, wake up." The voice whispered. My heart began to race again. My eyes fluttered open and stared at him. My... My brother? He smiled at me, with a smile I could feel somewhere in my memory. I knew we... We shared a connection. I just had no idea what it was. He sat at the edge of my bed. I sat up, tiredly.

" How has life been? I haven't seen you in so long." He whispered.

" I... I got kidnapped."

" I know. I have been trying to reach you, or get in touch with you. I tracked you here. But that was only a week ago. I came here yesterday and looked through the forest for you. But... I did not find you. I looked again, and I came across you, sleeping."

" How do I know... we're even related? How do I know you aren't faking? And what about my family?" I pouted. He smiled, in an annoying way.

" I will give you back your memories, if that's what you want. The two of us have been alive for longer than you think, Bella." That statement shook me. His hand reached for my face. I let him come. He kept his hand there. I blinked once and I was almost overwhelmed by the rush of memories we shared. It was so many, yet so overwhelming. I almost pulled away, but he resisted. I didn't want to see so much. I would never go to sleep. He let go of my cheek. My eyes were still closed but I was aware. Aware of who I really was.

" Cassandra?" He whispered. I opened my eyes to look at him.

" Carter..." I whispered.

" How do you feel?"

" I remember it all." I whispered. It took me a moment to rationalize my life.

" So... they're not... really my family?"

" No." He responded softly. I sat up and pulled him into the bathroom. I didn't even bother to close the door. It was true. We were fraternal twins. Our jet black hair, our sharp yet petite features. Everything except height and our eyes. My eyes glowed like his, just in my color.

" How can I hide my eyes?"

" You can't. I've used contacts. But our natural power burns right through the contacts. I wish we could, though."

" Could you tell me... what happened to our mother?" I whispered. He paused.

" She... died trying to protect you from hunters. But... she expelled her soul into a small rodent and got away in time. She isn't strong enough yet to reform her body."

" Are we really... witches?"

" You know that answer." He murmured, smiling.

" So... is that why when I have sex... It always hurts?"

".... I would normally have an answer... But that is strange." He paused and looked at me.

" You've been having sex, haven't you, Cassandra?" I nodded, blushing. He smiled.

" I presume you've had sex with the demon downstairs?" He asked.

" What?"

" Michael is a demon... has he ever really slept or eaten? Does it ever seem like... He moves entirely too fast?" Carter chuckles. Everything dawned on me. He stopped laughing and looked at me.

" Has he hurt you?" He whispered.

" N-no, he didn't hurt me. But... We had sex... And he thinks I only want him for pleasure." I confessed.

" Well, do you want him for pleasure?"

" No, not really... I wanted him to be mine." I sighed. He nodded.

" But... Before I came here, I was in France... And I fell in-"

" -Love with Joshua Beaumont. Continue." He whispered. I nodded.

" And he wanted to send me away because of the drug trade. I begged him to make love to me before he sent me away. And he sent Michael to retrieve me from the airport." He slowly nodded.

" So... The demon owes that mortal a favor?"

" I guess it was to watch me." I sighed.

" This is interesting." He said.

" I wonder if there's a spell to make food appear..." I murmured.

" We're witches, not magicians. Although I do know a few legit magicians." I chuckled at his response.

" When will you take me to see mom?" He was silent.

" Tomorrow, I can take you." He whispered.

" Will we continue to meet at night?"

" If that is what you want." He sighed, looking at me endearingly. My eyes watered just looking at him. My brother stood before me. This was real.

" Please don't get so emotional around me. I may cry with you."

" It's just... I wished I had an older sibling when I didn't know about anything." He embraced me warmly.

" Ok, you are wetting my shirt with your tears..." He whispered. I chuckled and so did he.

" It was harder than I thought it would be to find you."

" I can't believe this is real." I whispered. My eyes did not once close. He pulled me back into the room. He told me to slip in bed. I did. He told me to slowly close my eyes.

" Good night, Cassandra."

" Good night, Carter." I whispered. I kept my eyes closed and I was suddenly plunged into absolute darkness.