Chapter 1- Carter

His hand shook as he held the knife, a split second of contemplation. Was he really going to sink himself deeper and deeper into this life of crime and drugs and murder?

The bloody face of his Ex-wife was beaten in almost beyond recognition. For what felt like time on an entirely different plane he needed to know one thing if after this he couldn't at all: How did it come to this? His fists were battered and tired and would killing her help? He's already wanted in 4 states, with a penalty on him that he knew he couldn't outrun. How... How did he get filled with so much rage, so much pain and so much anger? And why now of all times was he feeling this stupid regret? Was it because the woman he still loved was pleading for him to regain some shred of humanity to spare her life? Or was it to cover his own ass and skip out on years in prison? How did the fire that was so small encompass his life in this way?

" Mason, I know you're a good guy! Just please..." She cried. That fire in his veins that slipped through each strand froze his mind, body and soul. Yes. He remembered. It was all coming back and time was no longer at a standstill. My hands gently caressed his head and I kissed his temple tenderly. All of the pain would be no more if he simply complied with his lusts. All he needed... Was a little push " Do it." I whispered intimately. " It's far too late now. You're damned if you do... " I chuckled sinisterly " And damned if you don't." With a loud and furious cry, he stabbed her mercilessly, making certain her fate and his own. Black crimson lacquer spattered every where as he threw the knife.

A deafening crunch that was almost unnatural for a human to make... Or one that was alive, I guess. He had crushed her skull and was working his way down, crushing every bone in her body. " Good good boy, Mason. Look at all of the colors!" I moaned maniacally " Look at all of the fun you're having! Look at... Look at your wife." I said seriously. His eyes once clouded in fury and anger slowly processed the weight of what he'd just done. I stood and turned around. The angel Asher stood to my side. " Weak for a man who swore by the Catholic faith... Not that it even mattered in the end. " His pale eyes were warm and friendly but knowing and calculated. " It barely took me any effort to push him over the edge. You saw that." I scoffed in disgust. " Well, we were assigned to this man and it looks like he's ready to-" before he could finish that sentence I could already hear the gurgled sounds of him choking.

He had stabbed himself through the neck. I opened a portal. " Every human I've been assigned to just gives in. Let you get in a sentence before they switch sides-" Asher laughed, a deep and soulful laughter that was infectious. " Carter, you really are something! How about we keep in touch?" I nodded, smiling and slipped him a card. " My line is always open. This was... An interesting case to say the least." He nodded and ripped open a portal to his realm. Our job here was done." You're done already?" My husband speculated almost shocked " Color me impressed." He chuckled, giving me fond eyes.

" I'll take it." Placing a gentle kiss on his lips, I took off my top and slipped a T-Shirt over my head.

" You're really good at it, you know?... the last case I got, the humans I was assigned to put up a fight and the angel got the record. But they give in when it comes to you and your family."

I nodded, agreeing. " My family brewed the best lust demons, after all. In my case, there was a fine line between bloodlust and vengeance. And 'Good', Jason... Is relative. " he nodded, agreeing " You're improving. A lot. It's best that I catch up when I can-" I pecked his lips and smiled. " Shut up. You can worry about 'catching up' later. I'm home, aren't I? The last thing either of us should care about is work."

He lie in my lap, his head on my thigh and his feet propped up on the arm of the sofa. " Are you... Better?" I shook my head. " No.

" Sorry to hear. You'll be assigned a new soul soon."

Nodding, I looked back at him " I know but hopefully not too soon. I've got to see how my family's doing, especially because I spend so much time on the surface."

" Any cute boys?" I looked down at him knowingly " None cuter than the one in my lap."
.
.
.
.
.
.
Knocking on his door, I patiently waited. He answered and beckoned me in. " I collected that last soul from my task. I know I'll be reassigned but I-"

" You want time?" He asked. I humbly nodded. His pale eyes were knowing and easily deduced my reasoning. " Will 14 days suffice?"

I nodded calmly " Yeah. "

He agreed. " On your next collection, take Reyna to observe." I nodded. She and Satan were on speaking terms again, and not upset, so everything was alright for now. Reyna, his beloved daughter and my half-sister, had grown closer to me than her brother. There were things she wasn't ready to share and when the time was right, she'd let me know. I agreed. " Can I see my mom?"

" She's upstairs in her room. Just knock." As I walked up, I noticed Sapphire still after all this time being dodgy. Maybe she didn't get where we stood. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. I gently knocked at the door, holding my breath and hoping for the best.